Books you can recommend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

OK, so I'm new to all this, having just got my OFTEC reg and am on the long road to learn it all in the field.

As a lot of oil boilers now combine expansion vessels, heating pumps etc, I would like to learn more about this as I expect I will need to know.

Can you well versed guys recommend any books on this subject?

I'd like to know the basics of plumbing, but only what combines with the service/repair of oil boilers. Also a bit more electrics info would be good.

Also I've got the testers etc covered, but what sort of spares am I expected to carry in the van, apart from nozzles, filters etc.

And tools, anything I need to have out of the ordinary?

I've gotta start somewhere and I know you lot can help or take the pi*s, so be kind :)

Over to you...

Regards.
Steve

Sponsored Links
It rather worries me that you seem to be setting up to do repair work when you admit you are not knowledgeable.

Most people would say that you should spend about 6 months to a year out every day with an experienced person before going out on your own.

The hydraulics of boilers are exactly the same for oil and gas.

Whilst oil burners are rather more complicated than gas they are also rather more reliable in my experience. They do need more careful setting up though.

Tony

I know nothing about oil boilers, but I would suggest that you get yourself booked on a few manufacturers training courses. They are usually free or around £40 for the day and include lunch. You will then get to know what matters in a boiler and not just some theory from someone who has written a book and does not work in the field!

As you will note on here you need to know about the heating systems that a boiler connects to, otherwise you could be looking for a fault in a boiler that is not faulty but has an external cause.

An electrics course such as 'essential electrics' would be good for basics, as would obtaining Part P if you think you could be dealing with electrical problems as well.

Also depending on the heating system an unvented ticket would enable you to work on mains pressure cylinders or boilers that contain a store of over 15 litres ;)

Wouldn't have a clue on basic spares for oil boilers, but I would think a good FGA and printer are a must ;)

gas4you said:
I know nothing about oil boilers, but I would suggest that you get yourself booked on a few manufacturers training courses. They are usually free or around £40 for the day and include lunch. You will then get to know what matters in a boiler and not just some theory from someone who has written a book and does not work in the field!

As you will note on here you need to know about the heating systems that a boiler connects to, otherwise you could be looking for a fault in a boiler that is not faulty but has an external cause.

An electrics course such as 'essential electrics' would be good for basics, as would obtaining Part P if you think you could be dealing with electrical problems as well.

Also depending on the heating system an unvented ticket would enable you to work on mains pressure cylinders or boilers that contain a store of over 15 litres ;)

Wouldn't have a clue on basic spares for oil boilers, but I would think a good FGA and printer are a must ;)

Point taken Agile, but I have been in the oil trade some 17yrs, although not in servicing/repairs and you have got to start somewhere as you can't buy experience. I have the FGA/printer, Pres/Vac gauges, smoke gun and other essential test kit. I have been on and am going to other makers courses to gain extra info on their make of boiler. I want to get to know the other areas that can involve servicing/repair, if I don't then I won't be able to provide a complete service. I have been in a mechanical trade for some years also, so can work through faults. If you could see my HRM wallstar that some joker fitted 9yrs ago you would laugh!

Soldered joints on the fuel line, no paper filter, no remote fire valve, a much too larger nozzle that has over fired the boiler, the list goes on. Now I know, it scares me that there are people out there that either don't know or know and don't give a sh*t !

If I didn't give a sh*t I would not be asking for help and advice.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i know this isnt going to be helpful (but at least im consistent..) nothing will prepare you for what is out their. you will need someone you can ask on the end of a phone, and i dont mean tech support.
it will save a lot of fekk ups to begin with, and then as the years go by you will get the oftec approved shirt

wilhelm said:
i know this isnt going to be helpful (but at least im consistent..) nothing will prepare you for what is out their. you will need someone you can ask on the end of a phone, and i dont mean tech support.
it will save a lot of fekk ups to begin with, and then as the years go by you will get the oftec approved shirt

Thanks for that...

I know it's going to be tough.

Just like to be able to get help and advice form you guys.

Cheers. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back