Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Personal taste, I use ferrules if I am panel building, certainly a tidier job

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
My preference is to use boot lace ferrules.

One concern.....When a flat crimped, oblong shaped ferrule is put into a terminal it should be fitted with the terminal pressing on the flat sides of the crimp. Otherwise the crimp may rotate in the terminal and become loose some time later.

upload_2020-4-14_10-51-10.png

• Thanks
The use of a proper crimper is important, in panel building one would soon stop getting work if one didn't use ferrules and crimp them correctly.

I've come across panels where the crimpimg is done with a pair of cutters and find they don't fit in the terminals very well and get badly chewed by the clamps or screws. Additionally the ferrules don't then fit squarely and look untidy

They do produce a lovely finish to a job when done properly and now it's second nature to me whenever I'm terminating flexible wire. I ended up buying ferrules in bags of 5000 and decanting into a case similar to the links, except 20 more sections for numeric markers.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
My preference is to use boot lace ferrules.

One concern.....When a flat crimped, oblong shaped ferrule is put into a terminal it should be fitted with the terminal pressing on the flat sides of the crimp. Otherwise the crimp may rotate in the terminal and become loose some time later.

View attachment 188834
Proper crimper is either flat sides or close to round shape.

I've got a bootlace ferrule crimper (CK one), its jaws are different from the usual tool

(bought it by mistake in a sale, but occasionally useful)

I've got a bootlace ferrule crimper (CK one), its jaws are different from the usual tool

(bought it by mistake in a sale, but occasionally useful)
What do you mean by usual tool?

ordinary crimpers with a sort of U in U jaw.

Bootlace ferrules with the coloured plastic bits are essential to stop the cable numbers falling off the wire, they also are needed where you are using maintenance free terminals, the problem is people it seems are attracted to the crimp pliers and I have lost count of how many replacements I have bought.

Bear in mind there are 2 different colour codes for the Insulated Bootlace Ferrules, German and French I believe, not sure what the preferred code is for UK

• Thanks
Bear in mind there are 2 different colour codes for the Insulated Bootlace Ferrules, German and French I believe, not sure what the preferred code is for UK
It seems to be a bit of a mish mash but I've had to stock both for a long time as I worked for so many different companies who seem to have their own combinations, I've also found that many use a bigger double ferrule as they don't use proper strippers and struggle to get 2 wires into the correct size.

Bootlace ferrules with the coloured plastic bits are essential to stop the cable numbers falling off the wire, they also are needed where you are using maintenance free terminals, the problem is people it seems are attracted to the crimp pliers and I have lost count of how many replacements I have bought.
I find that using the correct size of number makes things a lot more successful. I find that many use only one size and it's too big for smaller (0.5 to 1.5mm²) wires.
Crimpers and legs go together I'm afraid but I mark mine and eventually some have come back. I think I have 4 at the moment for 0.5 to 6mm² and 2 up to 16mm². After that I confess I use the copper tube lug crimper but it's not often I use ferules that big.

I use:
White = 0.5mm
Blue = 0.75mm
Red = 1.0mm
Black = 1.5mm
Grey = 2.5mm
Orange = 4mm
And a pair of crimpers like:
upload_2020-4-14_15-54-21.png

Although not those, the blue handled ones I have probably cost about £13 but do the same job.

But the above are just what my employer "got in" rather than any specific standard I think. (EDIT: pipped atthe post - it seems we are using the French colours - why do we not have our own?)
It adds more time to the job but does make for a nicer connection on many occasions, on some its not so good. (like in Omron relay bases.)

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back