Bora 1.9 TDI timing belt change

Sponsored Links
No special tools involved in this one, but its a good idea to replace any tensioners / idlers at the same time......and the water pump, of course!
On one typical motor I had to remove the nearside engine mount as well as the obvious offside one, just to heave the engine over a bit. It was a Skoda, I think but I can't remember which one.
John :)

I've noticed sellers supplying kits on ebay with the belt, pulleys and pump included.

I presume the pulleys and pump are prone to wear on the VWs ?

May as well do a coolant change whilst on the job !

Despite what you would hope, it's all too common to see plastic parts on the tensioners and so on. The same applies to the water pump impeller which has the undesirable effect of detaching itself and of course the pumping action ceases.
Go for a Gates kit, and all should be well - that's my choice anyway! You'll need a new auxiliary belt too.
John :)

Sponsored Links
In general, if it is cheap then you may find yourself doing the job twice. I had a cheap wheel bearing only last around 6K, the labour cost for a second change outweighed spending the money on genuine oem parts in the first place! That isn't to say there isn't decent quality aftermarket stuff out there such as what burnerman recommends, you pay your money and take your chance!!

Id go for gates too if you can get it, dayco also very good. Id probably avoid the complete kits as the pumps are usually not the best.
Make sure you buy a decent oe quality water pump, i had to do the job again on our A3 recently as the pump started leaking again a week later :mad:
The first pump i used was a circoli, the second a kwp from euro car parts which i believe is oem quality, hence the £57 pound price tag!

Back