Bora diesel filter change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2000 reg 1.9 SE TDi is due for a filter change.

It has four pipes on it.

Is it simply remove the pipes, change the filter, replace the pipes.

If I need to, how do I prime the filter?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that xr4x4.

I had to ask as my Rover 45 TDi has a rubber bellow on it to prime the filter but I can't see one on the Bora.

By the way, has anyone used MEHR filters?
There's a MEHR diesel filter for £8 of ebay.

I couldn't find a Bora filter change, but this U Tube might help. No bleeder some lads pre fill with clean diesel before fitting.
Yes cheap filter will be fine especially for fuel, just might have to change more often (reduced filter area). Just get 2 throw on in the boot, sorted.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for Mursal.

I usually change diesel fuel filters every 12k miles.

Mehr filters are fine - yours may well have two of the pipes located by a circlip and its easy enough to prime the filter through this hole - which for the battery's sake is recommended!
The new filter should come with new 'o' rings if its this type.
John :)

As far as priming goes, I assume you can drain the diesel through the bottom of the old one in to the new one - provided of course, you keep it upright?

You have to remember, if there's any debris or water in the old filter, its not a good idea to introduce it into the new one.....which is why I head for the cream jug when 'er indoors isn't looking :p

All done.

Pipes off, old filter off, new filter primed with £3 of diesel from garage, o rings on plastic cap replaced, filter clamped in, pipes refitted and engine started.

Used a Fram filter in the end - been using them for years.

Did the air filter while I was on.

Many thanks for the instructions folks.

Forgot to ask.

I noticed the offside suspension strut is sticking up about an inch through the inner wing and my sister who owns the car reckons there's sometimes a knocking when she goes over a bump.

A collapsed thrust pad on the strut perhaps?

Strut top wise, compare both sides, which should be the same...I'm sure there won't be any bother there though.
If the car boings when the steering is turned, look for a broken spring or consider the strut top bearing (invisible without the strut removed and spring off).
More likely the knock is from a drop link, which connects the strut itself to the anti roll bar. For the life of me I can't picture a Passat one, but they will be there in some form.
Well done on the fuel filter! Not the easiest thing to kick off on.

Nice one on the fuel filter
Imagine £3 worth of diesel, nearly more than the cost of the filter.

Yea, I have a sister like that........ Wouldn't you think, she would be impressed with both filters changed? Just invoice her for everything ..... :D

Sometimes worn bottom wishbone bushings knock when you accelerate?

Sponsored Links
Back