Bora Clutch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a 1.6 petrol Bora, 1595cc, 1999, 64000 miles I found the power leaving this last week, tonight I can't get the car out of first, the clutch pedal has stayed in the pressed position, all revs no power at all. Has anyone a idea of what is gone (clutch?)

Can some one tell me the worst.

Sponsored Links
The diaphragm springs on the clutch pressure plate have collapsed, trapping the release bearing at the same time.
The car should come out of gear though, with the engine off.
Its a tow away job to a local garage, I fear.
John :)

Hi all,

I have a 1.6 petrol Bora, 1595cc, 1999, 64000 miles I found the power leaving this last week, tonight I can't get the car out of first, the clutch pedal has stayed in the pressed position, all revs no power at all. Has anyone a idea of what is gone (clutch?)

Can some one tell me the worst.

There's a plastic bracket between the clutch pedal and clutch cylinder rod that sometimes brakes on Mk4 Golf/Boras, it could be that.

Hopefully it is just the clutch but there is another possible scenario. Your car might be too new for this but:
Have a look underneath for an oil leak from the diff/bellhousing area. It might be that the rivetts holding the crown wheel onto the diff casing have broken and punched a hole through the gearbox. Very common problem. Doesn't necessarily explain why the clutch pedal has stuck down but covers the other symptoms.

Sponsored Links
I've recently helped with the replacement of a Jeep clutch where the release bearing had passed clean through the diaphragm....it will be interesting to hear the outcome of this one.
I ain't doing Jeep clutches ever again :eek:
John :)

The diagnosis is in! The clutch is gone and a bearing at the starter motor. The Sparks were old and a bit of a mix and match. Basically to get the car back to normal there would be a lot of engine work. the car will be fine if I get the clutch and starter done, but in the long run the old girl is on her way out :cry:

To get the engine as good as new would cost too much.

Thanks for pitching in all. Cheers.

Back