Boring question about planning for openings in a new brick building.How to get perfect no. of bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Sorry for such a dull question. I'm planning to build a detached garage from brick. So far I've laid the footings and I'm now planning the exact layout of the bricks. The garage will measure (externally) 5.615m long x 3.25m wide, so 25 bricks long by 14 (plus the brick of the return wall) wide. This would give me a perfect rectangle. I'm planning on putting in a side door and window. I'm not really fussy about the exact size of the door but I had hoped I could find a standard off the shelf door that the width would be close to a divisible number of half bricks, say either 3.5 or 4/4.5 bricks. I've had a look and the standard width size of the frame seems to be either 840mm or 920mm so with a 10mm tolerance that would be 850mm or 930mm (I know you're expecting me to continue the trend and state that in brick sizes so I won't disappoint, that's either 3.77 bricks or 4.13 bricks (allowing for the mortar joint)). The only trouble is, I want to keep things as simple as possible by using whole bricks and half bricks. I was hoping to avoid using quarter bricks etc to make up small gaps. So to fit either of these doors I would either have to use quarter bricks or fill in the gap with timber and cover with beading/trim or build the wall to fit the opening required but then the wall with the door fitted would end up around an inch longer/shorter than the opposite wall without the door.

My question is, how would a brick layer typically approach this? Am I planning in far too much detail and I should just crack on and fix things as they crop up? Another option is, and the one I'm thinking of going for is to use slightly larger mortar joints on the opposite wall. I've noticed this is how the builder has done it on my house to get the perfect number of bricks between openings.

Sponsored Links
You just adjust the size of your perp joints slightly which will allow you to easily get the openings to the nearest half brick. Get it all adjusted below ground so it’s sorted by the time it’s visible. The frame widths you quote sound more like the door size rather than the external frame opening size

Thanks for the quick and informative response 23vc, I knew I was over thinking it, that sounds like the sensible thing to do. Thanks again:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back