Exterior standard door opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have designed an outhouse of 2m x 1m and a wall which has an external door on it. The 2m length wall is made of 9 bricks (width is 2015mm precisely) and the door opening is 4 bricks, or 910mm.

Try as I might I cannot find a standard door and frame to fit inside a 910mm (4 bricks) opening.

It seems external door frames are 40mm thick, which in my 910mm opening would leave just 830mm space, and take out a few mm here and there, would require a door of about 826-828mm. I cannot find a 828mm standard door.

I have followed standard brick sizes (215mm), so where is the mistake?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
813mm door + 80mm frame + 6mm (2x3mm) door to frame gap + 10mm (2x5mm) frame to wall allowance = 909mm.

Thanks.

I have now looked and found standard 2032mm x 813mm exterior doors. These use frames which are 2118mm x 903mm.

The closest brick opening height is 2175mm (29 bricks tall) which means there will be 57mm gap to be covered somehow, even after adding a 5mm+5mm on top and bottom we are at 47mm gap. If I take out one brick, the opening's height would be 2100mm which is just too small.

Am I making a mistake on the height?

Are we talking timber door frame here? If so, you should have made the masonry opening to suit standard sized frames receiving door sizes either say 30" or 33" wide. We used to actually build them in, in the olden days.

Four brick openings is the standard go-to measurement for bespoke plastic made-to-measure fellas.

Sponsored Links
Assuming it's gotta be timber, then raised threshold/cill? Gap suitably filled above frame? Door made to measure? not a lot you can do besides that if it's already built.... the mistake's in the brick opening size if anyone actually specified it, rather than your calculations?

Unfortunately the brick opening size is determined by the bricks, I could ask the brick layer to cheat for example, but I am wondering why don't standard doors and frames match standard brick sizes (all imperial if I understand it correctly).

Yeah, I assumed the walls were already built, but if not, as per noseall...

Thanks.

I have now looked and found standard 2032mm x 813mm exterior doors. These use frames which are 2118mm x 903mm.

The closest brick opening height is 2175mm (29 bricks tall) which means there will be 57mm gap to be covered somehow, even after adding a 5mm+5mm on top and bottom we are at 47mm gap. If I take out one brick, the opening's height would be 2100mm which is just too small.

Am I making a mistake on the height?

Whats your floor finish level? Could you take out the bottom bricks and drop the door frame down a bit and have 1 less no brick courses.

910 has been a standard door opening size since metrication with Europe in 1066. So it is common.

Even more common is to buy the frame first and build it in, not buy it afterwards and scratch your head wondering why it don't fit.

There was always a strange situation after metrication in building where joinery was not co-ordinated with metric brick sizes but 838 x 1981mm external doors to houses in 910 x 2110mm masonry openings must have been done thousands of times .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back