External door brick opening size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the width of an external door opening on a new build with a cavity wall & UPVC door to allow regs for wheel chair access? Standard 215mm face bricks to be used.

2100mm high x 900mm wide brick opening wouldn't leave enough clearance by the time the UPVC frame is added.

Sponsored Links
What's the width of an external door opening on a new build with a cavity wall & UPVC door to allow regs for wheel chair access? Standard 215mm face bricks to be used.

2100mm high x 900mm wide brick opening wouldn't leave enough clearance by the time the UPVC frame is added.
Far as I've seen, they are all still standard four brick-ers (900mm wide) on modern sites.

I thought the same but then it only leaves around 750mm opening which isn't enough, they have to be around 840mm i think.

In general 838mm door is ok.

Effective clear width is 800mm or 820mm (depends on wheelchair space) and min 300mm wall on handle side internally,

Sponsored Links
But with a 900mm opening the 820/800mm between the door stops wouldn't be achievable because the frame of a UPVC door eats into this by quite a lot. On my current house opening is 900 and with the door open to 90 degrees it leaves 750mm clearance.

Thanks, so for the external entrance door i could be looking at 1000mm brick opening or the nearest to it that matches 4.5 bricks with 4 bricks being 900mm.

The actual brick opening size will depend on the jamb thickness of the door set to be fitted. The criteria is whether a wheelchair user can fit through the available opening between the frame.

Some plastic doorsets have chunky frames, but others or composite sets have narrower frames.

I always specify a 940mm opening to take a 932mm frame which takes an 838mm door, which is acceptable for access regs.

Thanks, the 900 to 940 seems good for the internal doors and the 1022mm externals maybe. It's hard to know in the early stages if the door choice will have lager or narrow frames until i know which supplier so the larger of the two sizes seems best to go off.

I wasn't sure what size 4 and a half bricks equates to keep brick bond equal so things look neat.

1022.5 mm is 4 and a half brick,so one side of door would be stretcher and the other side a header,so be careful when setting out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back