borrowed neutral

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just a query
i've heared about somthing called a borrowed neutral
am i right in thinking that this is a neutral taken from another circuit?
if so isn't this a dangerous practice as if im thinking right the ciruit with the borrowed neutral will not isolate when is circuit breaker is opened. also if this practice does go on what are the benifit to the installer?

Sponsored Links
you are right.
There is no benefit to the insatller, its just some people really do do it unintentionaly, others do because they know no better, look in for refence there is a drawing

and yes it is dangerous

I love the way they call it "borrowed" neutral. Shold be stolen neutral since they never had any intention of returning it.

breezer said:
and yes it is dangerous
Only if you don't know about it. If properly documented you can remove the danger by isolating both circuits.

Sponsored Links
there are two situations in which borrowed neutrals are usually seen

one is wall lights. People add a gang to a lightswitch and link the live accross but need a neutral from somewhere they get this in one of several ways (none of theese methods would be considered acceptable by reputable electrictions)
1:borrow it from a socket
2:use the earth as a neutral
3:misuse the earth core in the cable used as the switch drop so they have enough cores for a live switched live and neutral.

the other is a method of two way switching that was common before 3+E cable became common

this *should* only be done when the lights are on the same cuircuit but is often seen done accross cuircuits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back