Bosch Exxcel 1200 Express Washing machine - Drum not turning

monkeyhanger52:
I have been following the advise about removing the motor from my washing machine, in order to change the brushes. But after removing the bolts it just won't move. What am I doing wrong? icon_sad.gif

I had the same problem. I'm not sure if this was the correct way to do it, but I just got a big screwdriver into the gap between each of motor mounting flanges and their mount points and the and levered the motor off.

Thanks, that worked great. Next problem how do I take the old brushes out, gratefull for you advice.

Kind regards

Tim

Sponsored Links
monkeyhanger52:
I have been following the advise about removing the motor from my washing machine, in order to change the brushes. But after removing the bolts it just won't move. What am I doing wrong? icon_sad.gif

I had the same problem. I'm not sure if this was the correct way to do it, but I just got a big screwdriver into the gap between each of motor mounting flanges and their mount points and the and levered the motor off.

Hi not sure if you got my last email, but how do I get the old brushes out?

Thanks again

Tim

monkeyhanger52";p="1423520 said:
Johna7770";p="1423242 said:
monkeyhanger52:

Thanks again

Tim

Tim - have a look at the youtube link posted by rocks1 - a very good explanation.

The only think I would add is to check that the bushes slide freely in their holders. I bought non-Bosch brushes which were a little tight so I had to scrape them down a bit to loosen them off.

Sponsored Links
Johna7770";p="1424585 said:
monkeyhanger52:

Thanks again

Tim

Tim - have a look at the youtube link posted by rocks1 - a very good explanation.

The only think I would add is to check that the bushes slide freely in their holders. I bought non-Bosch brushes which were a little tight so I had to scrape them down a bit to loosen them off.
Hi
Got the brushes in, back in business at last thanks!!!!

Tim

Thanks a million for taking the time to describe what you did. I would not normally tackle washing machine repair, but your description of the problem (not spinning) and the solution gave me the confidence to try. Six quid (cost of new brushes on Ebay) and one hour later I now have a fully functional washing machine again.

Couple of points to add.

After I removed the 2 machine screws holding the motor in place, I slid the motor towards the back of the machine by levering with a large screwdriver against one of the brackets.

Each brush has a spade connector. I poked a jewellers screwdriver into the little hole in the spade connector to release it and it then slid off easily.

The spade (connected to the brush) has a notch on either side. Slide it a little until the notches line up with the small retaining clips and then the spade lifts out. NOTE the carbon brushes are angled, so as you withdraw the old brush, note which way the new brush goes in! I guess it would be noisy for a while if the brushes went in the wrong way :)

I have a Bosch exxcel expess 1200 which wouldn't spin. I was looking on line to do a price comparison to buy a replacement machine when I stumbled upon this site. Thought it was worth trying to replace the carbon brushes as getting same problem as earlier post ( drum not spinning and timer jumping from 10 mins to 1 minute remaining). Am delighted to say it fixed it. Thanks for all the advice and tips.

I have had the same problem. I have replaced the bushes but unfortuantley machine will still not spin on any programme. There is a clicking noise as machine goes through programme but no movement from drum. The drum and motor do move when turned by hand, belt is reattached.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

brushes not seated properly or copper segments raised on motor , or brushes ftted wrong way round.

Thanks

Had not realised you could fit the brushes wrongly, so will strip machine down and check.

Thanks

Took the machine apart again, so much easier second time round.
I had indeed managed to put the brushes in wrongly. Thats now rectified, unfortunately drum will still not turn. One of the brushes was harder to put in than the other, they are original spare parts. Would this sticky bush be a problem?
One thing that surprise's me is there is no noise from the motor, I thought I would have heard something. The motor wheel still turns by hand. Are there any fuses connected to this that I should check?
Or do i admit defeat and buy a new machine?
Thanks

Yes sticky brush will cause this ,I bet the end of the brush has snapped cos it was the wrong way round,both ends are tappered so they touch the armature.

Rocks1 you were correct. I took the sticky bush back out, sanded it down to lower the width. Put it all back together and it works.
Thanks very much, my wife is not so happy as she had picked out a new machine. :LOL: I am over the moon.

Thanks very much again.

My Bosch Exxcel 1200 Express washing machine won't take in water. (The the water tap and power are turned on, the program set and the start button pressed.) I've checked and rinsed the strainers at both ends of the supply hose (and now the connector at the tap end won't fit because I overtightened it). I removed the pump cap for good measure and checked for any fluff or debris. The drain and spin programs start ok.

Do I need to get a new water intake pump and can I fit it myself or do I need to get a strong friend or relative in? I'd consider replacing the machine with a cheaper make and model for under £250, but my house is on the market and I wasn't planning to take the washing machine when I move, as I may have to go into rented accomodation that includes appliances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back