Bosch Exxcel 1200 Express Washing machine - Drum not turning

Just had a quick look at the MIL's Exxcel 1200 because she said it wasn't spinning. I started the spin program and it counted down from 11 mins as normal, and the whining noise was present which I presume is the motor. But the drum wasn't turning. Is there a rubber belt that's connecting the two that has snapped? Seems like the obvious cause but just wanted to check there's no other possibilities. I didn't have much time to investigate - is it easy to pop the lid off and to replace? I'll have a proper look at the weekend. TIA.

Sponsored Links
If anybody is interested, this was an easy fix. The belt had simply come off. Easy to see when I took the top off, and easy to put back on by taking off the access panel on the rear.

Hi,
This is the first time I have used the internet for this type of thing so hoping somebody can help on this problem.
Bosch Exxcel 1200 Washing machine will fill with water but won't do anything else. Can hear the programs being run through and then the water is discharged.
As water will flow in and be pumped out realise this is not a pump problem.
Could it be a motor problem? (replacement motor is £179) so need other ideas before paying out that sort of money.

Reasonable handy can tackle most things but not major knowledge on electrics.

Looking forward to some help.

Thanks for your post - today our Bosch (15 yr old) drum stopped turning. After reading your post I removed the motor, went to local parts supplier who fitted the appropriate brushes for £15 and, eh presto, the machine is working perfectly! Thanks for your post.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am replying to myself here so that hopefully I can help someone else in the future.

After reading various other threads, realised it was probably the bushes in the motor. To change these:

Disconnect electric supply
Disconnect Water supply
Disconnect Drain pipe.
Turn machine upside down
Remove the belt off the fly wheel
Remove the motor by taking the two bolts out towards the back of the motor support arms
The motor then slides out.
Remove the bush that is not near the terminal block
Remove the bush near the terminal block it is easier to unplug the terminal block first.
Replace the bushes and re assemble

Hay Presto - one working machine. total cost £33.17 a bit of hassle and a great deal of satisfaction. Alternative call an engineer Motor £179.64 plus labour say £60. Total £239.64. Saving £206.47 I'm off to the pub!

If I can do it then most people can do it.

Just done this myself too. Non-bosch brushes 4 quid off ebay

*FREE POST* WASHING MACHINE MOTOR QUALITY LAMINATED CARBON BRUSHES X 2

The back does not come off, its just an access panel to change the belt. You need to go in from underneath. I removed the back panel and belt, turned the machine on its side, and the motor slides off when you undo 2 bolts. A bit of fiddling with the springs and I have a brand new washer, spinning like it just came out the factory!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back