Bosch Fridge Freezer Valve Magnet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Bosch fridge freezer KGU31125GB/01 which is not cooling either the fridge or the freezer despite the compressor running and all other things looking ok. This happened overnight for the freezer and a couple of days later for the fridge. I have checked most of the sensors which seem ok and suspect the valve magnet may not be passing refrigerant but know little about it. Can anyone tell me how this works please? - I have broken into its electrical input cable which has a source impedance of around 3K so I guess the source is a thermistor, the fridge one I would say as operating a hair dryer in the fridge changes its value. However I cannot currently gain access to it as I think its behind the fridge fan which I can't remove as this requires a very thin star driver. Anyway, does the valve magnet read the impedance value and respond accordingly by diverting refrigerant? If this is indeed the faulty part, does replacing it mean losing refrigerant and necessitate a re-gas? Advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Generally if the compressor is running and the unit is not chilling you have a refrigerant leak.

Looking at the diagrams for this model it is an auto defrost model that works by blowing cold air into the fridge from the freezer. The thermister in the fridge is to control the operation of a fan and or damper to allow the passage of cold air into the fridge.

If the fridge thermister or PCB has failed it will not call for the unit to be chilled so the compressor will not come on.

Since your compressor is coming on (does it run all the time?) and your freezer is not chilling then I would suspect a gas leak.

if the compressor is intermittent I would try a full defrost first of over 24 hours. All the freezer evaporator and heater parts are behind the rear cover in the freezer and sometimes (quite often actually) it gets so frozen it stops the appliance from working (the heater does not always manage to do a full defrost).

Thank you for the reply which I somehow managed to miss!

Eventually checked all the sensors and could find nothing wrong so had to call in a service engineer. He confirmed Leccy758's suspicion that the problem was a coolant leak - unfortunately an internal one - which meant the appliance had to be scrapped.

Now this is by a big margin the dearest fridge freezer I have ever bought and it lasted 5 years - the least time by a long way of any fridge freezer ever owned by myself or any family member. Very disappointing.

The "valve magnet" is, according to the service engineer, simply a poor translation from German and should really read solenoid!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back