Bosch GCM 800 SJ or DeWalt DWS774

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to buy a mitre saw to work on some home projects, will start with cutting some laminates and skirts etc, then maybe some garden projects later in the summer.

Had a quick look and the DeWalt and Bosch comes in within my budget, just wondering if anyone had any experiences with these two models? or any other recommendations at this price point? Thanks a lot for any advice.

Sponsored Links
A colleague has the DWS774 and so I've had the chance to try it against the DW777 I use on a daily basis at the moment. It shares a lot of the same design philosopy, but is smaller, lighter and very, very portable. In terms of power, noise and accuracy I don't think there's much between the older saw and the new one, although the 777 is slightly better on hardwoods. Dust extraction isn't stellar, but to get good DX you really do need to go to a Festool Kapex. Certainly appears to be a good general purpose site saw with sufficient capacity for most second fix tasks and a fair bit of first fix carpentry (e.g. stud walling, etc). even though the saw lacks and facilities for double bevel cutting (handy but not essential) and has no trenching capability (which is sometimes very handy), although I can live without both especially at a tad over £200

Can't say I've ever seen the Bosch other than in a showroom. It is certainly is a lot bigger.

It depends on your own preferences, but I can say that in the last twenty years I can recall seeing many deWalt and Makita mitre saws in use on sites (the two favoured brands), together with a smattering of Elektra-Beckum/Metabo and Hitachi saws, the occasional Festool (other than my own) and recently one or two Milwaukees. Never seen a Bosch - even on jobs in Germany. I'm talking about user-owned tools BTW, although hire shop saws also tend to be deWalt, Makita or Milwaukee. Surely that speaks volumes in terms of quality of product?

A colleague has the DWS774 and so I've had the chance to try it against the DW777 I use on a daily basis at the moment. It shares a lot of the same design philosopy, but is smaller, lighter and very, very portable. In terms of power, noise and accuracy I don't think there's much between the older saw and the new one, although the 777 is slightly better on hardwoods. Dust extraction isn't stellar, but to get good DX you really do need to go to a Festool Kapex. Certainly appears to be a good general purpose site saw with sufficient capacity for most second fix tasks and a fair bit of first fix carpentry (e.g. stud walling, etc). even though the saw lacks and facilities for double bevel cutting (handy but not essential) and has no trenching capability (which is sometimes very handy), although I can live without both especially at a tad over £200

Can't say I've ever seen the Bosch other than in a showroom. It is certainly is a lot bigger.

It depends on your own preferences, but I can say that in the last twenty years I can recall seeing many deWalt and Makita mitre saws in use on sites (the two favoured brands), together with a smattering of Elektra-Beckum/Metabo and Hitachi saws, the occasional Festool (other than my own) and recently one or two Milwaukees. Never seen a Bosch - even on jobs in Germany. I'm talking about user-owned tools BTW, although hire shop saws also tend to be deWalt, Makita or Milwaukee. Surely that speaks volumes in terms of quality of product?

thank you very much for the advice from first hand experiences. I'm leaning towards the DWS774, especially its bevel goes to 48 degree so very handy for skirt cutting as I understand it. Only downside would be the blade size of only 216mm, would this be restricting for my future works? I 'm only thinking of some easy home DIY jobs.

Alternatively I can go with the Evolution Rage3 for 255mm blade, which also received lots of good reviews but only goes to bevel 45.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back