Bosch X-Cel PSB 18V replacement batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm doing an internet search for replacement batteries for my Bosch drill.
I have found
which is offering the 1.5 A for a lot less than
Also some eBay offerings at various prices.

Has anyone used drill-battery.co.uk and what's your experience with them?
Same questions for batterytrader.com.

Also, I've seen a few YouTube videos where people replace the NiCad cells with Li-Ion. Has anyone tried this yet? If so how did it work out?

Cheers in advance.

Lesley

Sponsored Links
I might be wrong, but I believe that lithium batteries need special circuitry/chips which communicates with both the charger and the tool. Without those chips I would imagine that using a Ni-Cad charger could be very dangerous.

yup a 5mV per cell overcharge can lead to a very hot cell that rapidly disassembles itself. you have to work out exactly how much you trust an old charger for nicads that are pretty much bulletproof, vs lithium cells that are total primadonnas.
A Nicad that turns into a dead cell can often be revived by dumping a lot of charge from a hefty capacitor into the nickel whisker that is shorting the cell, lithium cells would rapidly dissassemble with that treatment.
go to the battery university website and look at how fragile lithium cells are.

Lesley
The cheap battery will terrible using low power laptop cell instead of high performance cell.
The real battery will be good, but is expensive compared to a new more modern battery and drill.

Suggest it is time to buy a new drill.

Have a look in Lidl at a parkside drill and the Lidl batteries and charger (Only buy if they have all three items in shop at same time, get two batteries).

Or look at something from Screwfix or toolstation at the £80 to £120 range (best to get something with two batteries).

This currently looks suitable at £100

This is very good drill but more expensive at £110

You will likely by shocked by the performance difference of the above drills over what you had before.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you everyone for your input.
My local Lidl has some of the parkside stuff in but, like most of us, I'm strapped for cash. When they had the drills and batteries I didn't have the spare money. I did twitch every time I went past.

I would be seriously disappointed to lose this particular drill, it's in a beautiful flight case. My only gripe is that it's a tad heavy.

I agree that at £60 for a new battery, I might as well take the leap to Li-IOn and there are cheaper drills out there that might meet my needs for now.

Thank you once again for your input.

Also if you have not bought them yet, then if they are available at Aldi, you could go for the Ferrex version, again they do not always have everything available, but my local Aldi keeps the batteries in the shelves out the back as too many get stolen, so worth asking if there are any batteries around at the back at either store. Aldi and Lidl both actually use Samsung cells in the battery packs, cheap and easy to return if they go wrong. A no-brainer for any amateurs, not so good if you are trade.

A few years ago I bought a couple of Creabest 18v NiMH batteries for my Bosch tools. They're lighter than the genuine Bosch ones, but have been fine, and they were also a lot lighter on the old wallet than the Bosch ones. Dunno if they do NiCad - that technology is a bit long in the tooth now.

A few years ago I bought a couple of Creabest 18v NiMH batteries for my Bosch tools. They're lighter than the genuine Bosch ones, but have been fine, and they were also a lot lighter on the old wallet than the Bosch ones. Dunno if they do NiCad - that technology is a bit long in the tooth now.

They were probably lighter because the batteries had a lower capacity (amp hours) than your old battery. There is nothing wrong with that, it just means that they need to be recharged more frequently.

I recently purchased a 18 volt, 5.2 amp hour battery for a new Metabo cordless drill. It weighs almost as much as the drill but I need the extra amp hours to use it with a door lock mortiser.

They were probably lighter because the batteries had a lower capacity (amp hours) than your old battery. There is nothing wrong with that, it just means that they need to be recharged more frequently.
Well in theory (i.e. the claims on the batteries), the Bosch original I still have is 2.6Ah, and the Chinese copies 3.5. But I've no way of testing the truth of either, and anyway the Bosch one is pretty old.

I only use them in a drill-driver. Somewhere I've got a circular saw and a planer which I bought as naked tools when they popped up at good prices on eBay (new, but had gone obsolete, and the business seller was I guess trying to offload old stock). And of course "well, you never know" has so far turned out to be "well, you didn't need those".

But only using them in a drill, as a DIYer, they're fine. I've got a total of 3 batteries and never find I have to stop doing because I've got no power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back