Bottom opening or top opening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a ground floor room is used as a bedroom, does the window still need to have a bottom opening as it would on the first floor?

It's a 1600mm high at present and has a small top opening, not enough to climb out of. That said, it's door is just off the hall, so maybe the window doesn't need to be changed. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
If the room opens onto a corridor ( or other room) thats has a door that leads directly outside, NOT into another room or corridor, then no it does not need to be a bottom opener , However if the room opens into another room with no external door , or onto a corridor that does not have a door directly leading outside, then it becomes a ' room within a room ' and the fire escape rules apply , eg bottom opener required. In my opinion though, as it is a bedroom , I would provide fire escape on the window as good practice. If the bottom opening is an issue due to the possibility of it being left open, then you could fit a simple casement restrictor so it only opens a minimum way unless the catches are released

Forgot to say , if it is a rental property , could very well be that your insurance would insist on having a fire escape in that room regardless.

There is also the issue , that if it is Upvc , technically it could be replaced like for like as the situation is not being made any worse, which is a totally bizarre rule if you ask me!

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies. I'll probably go for bottom opening with the casement restrictor suggestion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back