Bought wrong cylinder - we need thermal store - any advice.

Do you do pairs of stats working as a buffer for non-solid fuel inputs?

I'm not too sure what you are asking Dr Dan but I like to try to keep things simple using a stat on the store through a timer to fire the gas or oil boiler so if the store is not hot, usually due to the customer not lighting the Solid Fuel boiler then they will still have hot water and heating.

Sponsored Links
My store came with 2 stats spread apart. The theory being that the boiler wouldn't activate until a significant amount of heat had been drawn off, and would keep the boiler firing until a significant amount had been put back in.

If you look in the Specflue section of the CCR and see the Xcel documents you'll see what I mean.

But with the Honeywell Evohome system I can set the hysteresis as I want it. So in the summer I have a bigger gap than in the winter - remember my boiler is sized for heating not hot water ;)

Ah Yes, I see... No I don't do the two stat thing I have always considered the delay in the mechanical stat to be enough... The gas/oil boiler is always the heat source of last resort so I have paid very little attention to this... To be honest, most of my installs involve a new solid fuel boiler being linked in with a decrepit wheezing old gas or oil boiler... If I was linking in with a decent modern boiler then I would have to look a little closer for maximum efficiency. Most of my customers are in rural locations and they are doing their best to avoid using their gas or oil at all... Mention of weather compensation gets them headed towards the series two Land Rover to get the shot gun...

If it is copper, and you plan on running it open vented then you can adapt it to work as a thermal store.

You could even put the second coil to use with an air source heat pump.

The warranty will be void though.

Ghosts of Xmas past!! Dear old Water Systems/Dr Drivel don't we all just miss him??!!

Dan dear boy, when a cylinder is converted it's called a Heatbank doh!!!... :LOL:

There pages & pages in cyberspace of Water Systems, well, drivel on heat banks. Mr Google is your friend.......
;)

Sponsored Links
Sometimes we need to divorce ourselves from Mr Google.. :) He is not our friend.... :!:

I also love a thermal store!

Just a shame specflue are sooooo expensive, I want one for RT Towers.

The Specflue stores are very nice kit I like the idea of a quench coil in them to negate the need for a heat leak radiator...

Indeed... According to Google, I should have been dead six months ago.

RT, if your serious about having a Specflue store, I want to take mine out for space reasons (330 litres iirc)

Has a few holes in the Shell where I fitted probes and bits but should be pretty spotless on the operational side.

Drop me a line if you are interested. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back