Boulter Camray 5 - cutting out after 10 mins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a Boulter Camray 5 oil burning boiler, and the central heating is cutting out after 10 mins.

The radiators initially get red hot, and after it cuts out, they cool down and it does not restart. If I remove the two phials from their sleeves (on LHS of boiler for those familiar) when the radiators are cold, the phials are red hot. Once they have been out of their sleeves for a couple of minutes the heating restarts.

Whatever the phials are plugged into (heat exchanger?) is getting much hotter than the rest of the system, and causing it to cut off.

If anyone could provide suggestions on how to resolve this, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Geoff

Sponsored Links
Thermostat needs replacing.
Don't remove the phials from the sleeve it is the only thing stopping the boiler melting.

Thanks for the reply dcawkwell.

I replaced the thermostat today but still have the same problem.

It appears that the phial pockets are getting so hot, the thermostat thinks the heating system is hotter than its maximum range...in reality, i think the heat exchanger remains really hot whilst the radiators have cooled down.

If you or anyone else could shed any further light on this it would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Geoff

Thanks for the reply dcawkwell.

I replaced the thermostat today but still have the same problem.

It appears that the phial pockets are getting so hot, the thermostat thinks the heating system is hotter than its maximum range...in reality, i think the heat exchanger remains really hot whilst the radiators have cooled down.

If you or anyone else could shed any further light on this it would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Geoff

If the boiler is hot but the radiators are cool something is stopping the circulation. 2 port valve? Wall thermostat fault?

Sponsored Links
Is the pump still running during this boiler cooling down phase?

if the room thermostat is still calling for heat the pump should be carrying off the excess heat from the boiler.

That is a very good point jackthom.

The pump does not run during the cooldown phase.

So the pattern of failure is as follows.

-Burner and pump runs, radiators get hot and everything stops (there are no red lights etc).
-Radiators cool down, and boiler remains hot.
-I remove the temp phial from the pocket, let it cool down put it back in and the boiler restarts for a bit.
-Repeat the process!

Any further pointers based on the above appreciated!

Thanks
Geoff

Where does pump supply come from?
Trace it back...................SIMPLES!!

Traced it back and it's wired to the circuit boardLooking at the diagram it's wired to the micro switch in the 3 port valve.

I assumed that the 3 port valve switched between heating and hot water - not sure how this could cause my issue.

Andy further advice appreciated....it's getting very cold...

Thanks
Geoff

It would appear that you have a "COMBI"

Is the motorised valve staying in the heating position.

Hi,
I know this is an old thread and the chance of a reply is not certain but did you ever resolve the problem I am having exactly the same problem.
I have changed the 3 thermostats but still the same.
Here's hoping.
Thanks
Mike

It's probably the micro switch in the actuator bust if the switch moves to heating pos and pump doesn't start it's gone if it's running all the time disconnect the flow switch if the pump stops then the flow switch is goosed Bob

Hi again Bob,
Do you mind if I pick your brains a little further?
I have ordered a new actuator but am still puzzled by the problem.
I have turned of the hot water and when everything has cooled the CH works as normal for a few hours.
When it eventually turns itself off if I run the hot tap to get rid of water (which is still hot) then the CH starts again.
The boiler does not lock out
All the thermostats have been changed.
Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back