Old Boulter Camray combi problem no hot water heating great?

If, and only if, you are completely competent then link across the stat and see if it all functions correctly and heats up the store !!!!!!!!!

Thats only for test purposes and it must NEVER be left unattended like that!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
If, and only if, you are completely competent then link across the stat and see if it all functions correctly and heats up the store !!!!!!!!!

Thats only for test purposes and it must NEVER be left unattended like that!

Tony

i think i will leave that test untill tomorrow and some daylight. :D

Great news !!!

All fixed :D

gallons of hot water :D or should that be liters now ?
oh well even more liters of hot water. :LOL:

many thanks to all who responded especially to Gas4you for the parts breakdown and to Oilman for the part no and supplier for the mixing valve.

A new mixing valve fixed it !!! :D

wifey is a happy bunnie ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Now I can go and fix boilers ;)

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
Thanks for the feedback. Now I can go and fix boilers ;)

Heheheheh it was the part you suggested that fixed it !

got to say though i was a little worried when i saw the tiny ( 4mm ) hole the hot water has to come through in the valve, but it works fine :D

its a pity that the local plumbers are not up to your standard,
and the local plumbers merchants have to be lead by the nose to find/order the right parts.
you even beat the so called engineer that Worcester bosch sent out, and they own boulter so it is one of their own boilers!!!

you have my vote of confidence!

Andy

It's difficult for local plumbers in your area, there are not sufficient boilers for them to do only boiler repairs, so they have to spread their efforts over a wide field. I have seen only one of your beasties, and I was able to ask Boulter as they still existed.

Worcester, now there's a thing, I used to do guarantee repairs for Boulter, and even though I was on site this week when a Boulter boiler was under warranty, Worcester would not pay me to fix it, so I had to leave it and they will send their guy in sometime. It's a combi, so they have no HW. :rolleyes:

Sorry to reopen this post which appears to have been sorted thanks to all the knowledgable members out there.

I too have this boiler (Boulter Camray Combi oil 90/130 1994 year) which until this weekend was working fine and then the Hot water taps/showers only provide a few minutes of hot and then goes cold. The central heating however is fine.

I called out my boiler man yesterday for its annual service who said the boiler was now obsolete and I'd probably have to replace it and he didn't know why there was no consistent hot water. I'm confused at this as the boiler itself is functioning and therefore it sounds to me (I'm no expert) as if a type of flow diverter (a term I've heard) could be the cause. My boiler man said he suspected limescale was the issue and then left. I have arranged for a second opinion this Friday but having read this thread I am also wondering if my mixer valve is the problem.

Just to confirm - We have central heating, the boiler fires up, we get hot water for about 2 mins and then it goes lukewarm to cold. Our showers are very brief at the moment !

We have a baby in the house and I really could do with some suggestions and help to try and fix the boiler rather than replace it at this time. I am a capable diy'er and have some experience with rads and pumps but not boilers. Could I be on the right lines here suspecting the mixer valve as mentioned earlier in this thread could be the key?. If so this will at least give me a better understanding when I receive a second opinion on Friday.

Many thanks

Hi
if your central heating is working, IE, your rads get hot but the hot water is only for a short while, just a few pints and then runs cold / lukewarm.
then it is most probably the mixer valve as that is exactly what was happening to mine.

all the info about the mixer valve is in this thread, and it saved me a fortune.
Oilman was a star

Good luck with your old beastie :)

Hi,

Sounds like my boiler needs a new mixer valve as the symptoms are the same.
I just called a branch of "Plumb Centre" and they said there are only a few stores left in the UK that stock them ? I was quoted a price of £92.68 + delivery. Is this about right in terms of price and are they more widely available than what the Plumb Centre have told me ?
Thanks

Hi thats a bit more than i paid, but they did have to order it in for me and i collected it from the shop.

but it is still a lot cheaper than replacing the boiler :)

you could have a bit of a shop around and try and get it cheaper but if they can get one quickly for you then it is probably the best bet to just go for it.

hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back