Boulter Camray 5 - cutting out after 10 mins

When you take the actuator off, can you easily turn the valve stem?
Is there evidence of leakage from the valve stem? (I would be amazed if there wasn't)
On a boiler of this age it would be prudent to change the whole valve as it is probably not opening and closing fully, or more likely the shoes have scored and are passing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying. I really do appreciate it.
Valve stem turns easily and there is no sign of leakage but as you say water could be passing through.
The actuator should be here in the morning and I will have a closer look at the valve then.
Many thanks
Mike

Thanks for replying it does help to have someone to talk to.
The new parts have not arrived yet so have not done much.
At the moment it is on CH only (although the water in the taps still gets scaldingly hot) 3 way valve maybe?
I have the CH on the timer and it comes on and off OK but the heat only lasts for about an hour before shutting off.
If I run the hot water out of the taps the CH will start again. WhenI touch the pump it is very hot (cannot keep my hand on it)
To me (with very little knowledge) it seems to point to a thermostat problem - but I have changed them except for the overheat thermostat in the plate heat exchanger but if this had gone surely the reset light would come on.
Thanks for listening
Mike

Sponsored Links
An update
After the CH being on for an hour and then switching off I ran the hot tap to get rid of the hot water and to my surprise it was just luke warm. But the CH started working again.
I am at a loss.
Mike

You really need to have this looked at by a competent service technician, who can check the operation of the components, and the electrics controlling them. You clearly have a problem with either the pump or the 3 port valve. You say the heating stops, but that the boiler is hot, sometimes with domestic water, sometimes with radiators. You need the experience of analysing the problem which a layman may not have.

Sadly I have had so called service technicians out. They only seem to make the problem worse and then charge the earth for parts which are not needed.
I will carry on and sooner or later I will crack the problem.
Thanks for your input it was nice to get a second opinion.

Sadly I have had so called service technicians out. They only seem to make the problem worse and then charge the earth for parts which are not needed.
I will carry on and sooner or later I will crack the problem.
Thanks for your input it was nice to get a second opinion.

It seems like you may have a circulating problem being caused by the pump binding and coming to a full stop when hot, Try changing the pump.

All sorted.
We now have a warm home and hot water.
The only niggle is that the hot water and the radiators are hotter than the thermostat setting would suggest.
Either the boiler is working more efficiently or I still have a water heat control problem. I am going to live with it for a couple of weeks to see how it goes.
Many thanks for all your suggestions they were a great help.
I will let you know what happens.

Set the thermo to 12oclock hot water and 1-00oclock heating a good idea is a wall stat which will
stop the boiler short cycling.It will then use less oil Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back