Boulter Camray II

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice. I have recently moved into a house that has a Boulter Camray II Oil fired boiler.

Its started to leak. :(

I've had a number of 'so called' plumbers around that have said various things, one that it can be repaired 'really easily', one that said 'Oh the seals have gone' you need a new bolier and one that said 'You can't get Oiled fired boliers anymore !

Its a model 65/85 and it does look like water is coming from underneath the system (i.e its not an oil leak and its not a leak on any pipes in or out).

Can it be repaired ... i.e is it cost effective to do so ? Or is it better to get a new one ? Its looks like it was first maintained in 1994 ... so I'm guessing it was installed sometime between 1992 - 1993 so its well over 12 years old .... is that old for an Oil boiler??

Any advice would be much appreciated .... I've had enough of the Plumber sucking through his teeth routine, saying 'ooh thats gonna cost ya!' .... it would be good for me to know what they are talking about !

Sponsored Links
First thing I would do is buy 4 or 5 bottles of Radweld and put it in the system. Then run it round for an hour or two and the leak will probably stop. This will give you some thinking time so you can sort out what to replace it with.

If you know the right people who will help, you COULD take the water jacket out and get the hole welded up, but I doubt any boiler people will do this as it's risky business. The normal approach is a new boiler, I don't think the water jacket is available as a spare any longer.

Boilers can go in a few years if corrosion inhibitor isn't used and the system isn't cleaned out when the new boiler goes in.

Reply to "Plumbers"
1)it is not an "easy" repair.
2) I presume the seals have gone as a polar bear has turned up as there aren't any other seals.
3) If you get the last bloke back in, I will drop a non-existant, brand new oil boiler on his foot.

Approximately where are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back