Boulter (OIL) boiler not firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can hear the pump working on our boiler, but it is not firing up. Serviced only in Sept.

Oil tank level is fine and I've checked the header tank in the loft to ensure that water is getting to the boiler and it also is fine.

Anything I can do?

Sponsored Links
Have you depressed the reset button on the burner?. button will more than likely be illuminated red.

Which boulter is it?

It just says Boulter Economy.

I've pressed the button, but it just stops the pump momentarily but doesn't fire up

When you say pump I take it you mean the blower motor and not the circulating pump?

Switch of stat then switch on again, press red button within grey box on burner, you should hear the fan start, a few seconds after this you`ll hear a click, this is the ignition.

If ignition fails at this point the fan motor will stop and the lock out lamp will light, is this happening?

Sponsored Links
You're right...I did mean the blower.

When I turn on the stat (I assume you mean the combined on / off & themostat control at the top right?), the blower starts.

When I press the button (accesssed through a hole in the red box labelled RIELLO) the blower stops until the button is released.

I don't think I've got a lock-out light.

You're right...I did mean the blower.

When I turn on the stat (I assume you mean the combined on / off & themostat control at the top right?), the blower starts.

When I press the button (accesssed through a hole in the red box labelled RIELLO) the blower stops until the button is released.

I don't think I've got a lock-out light.

What happens when the blower starts,does it just run continually or does it eventually stop?

When I turn on the stat (I assume you mean the combined on / off & themostat control at the top right?), the blower starts

Yes thats right. sounds as though it aint going to ignition if you are not getting lock out. could well be the grey control box on side of blower not going through ignition sequence, looks like you need someone out ;)

<What happens when the blower starts,does it just run continually or does it eventually stop?>

Just runs continually.

<Yes thats right. sounds as though it aint going to ignition if you are not getting lock out. could well be the grey control box on side of blower not going through ignition sequence, looks like you need someone out>

Anything else I can do... have left messages with two professionals, but no-one has got back to me yet

Anything else I can do... have left messages with two professionals, but no-one has got back to me yet

Dont think so, as clf says, it's not completing its ignition sequence-probably going to need a part-so get an oily in--but most people are very busy right now so you might have a bit of a wait.

Thanks you all for your time and expertise.

Have now had a call back from the firm who do the services... man on his way (with parts on the van!)

Thanks again

Peter

If it's a Riello, I do recall they would occasionally do this.
When it happened to me, it was the control box going u/s
If this is the case, it's not the fault of the engineer who serviced it!

Faulty photo cell or control box> Possibly both!!

Agree in a way Terry, But to prove the photo cell ignition needs to start, thinking contol as ignition appears not to be starting:cool:

If photo Is u/s you get a continuous motor run with no oil release or ignition!!
Control box can give same sympton! Control circuit is 50v (auto transformer on main motor winding)!
If not proved no oil/ignition!!

Cheers Terry, thought that was ignition failure, though on what you say thought photo cell looked for bright light, in laymans ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back