Boulter oil burner not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have an oil fired central heating system, and I noticed yesterday that the radiators did not come on. I had a look at my burner (Boulter Classic) and spotted a slight leak on gate valve on the supply pipe that feeds the oil into the burner to the tank. I tightened the joint and stopped the leak, but the burner still isn't working or making any sound and definitely doesn't fire up when I switch the heating on!

I'm a total novice, so probably best to call someone in! Just thought I'd run it past you in cae you have any ideas - perhaps there are some simple things I can do/check to at least diagnose what's wrong?

Many thanks for reading my post.

Kind regrds

Jon

Sponsored Links
The boiler does not know if there is a small leak so thats irelevant.

You say that the boiler does not make any sound. That makes me wonder if it has a supply of electricity or if an over heat stat has operated?

If you have checked the supply and the o/h stat it may be the time to call ina professional particularly as the forecast is for very cold weather.

Tony

Thanks very much for your post Tony.

I opened the front of the unit up and noticed that a red LED was on. This doesn't mean a great deal to me, but one thing it did indicate was that the electricity supply is getting to the burner. There are very slight signs of burning - not much just a few small areas of slight blackness.

Yes, I'll probably call a professional in the morning - as you say, it's going to get even colder!

Many thanks

Jon

Turn off the mains supply for three minutes and then back on and it MIGHT work again!

Is there any "reset" button you can push?

Tony

Sponsored Links
press the red tit.

...the illuminated button on the control box. see wot appens.

bottom line is . youll need to get someone in.

but.......check youve got oil.

Tony, Wilhelm

You heroes!! I followed your advice, the boiler cranked on and my radiators are getting warmer by the minute - I can't thank you enough.

Okay, the problem may return and I may yet need to call that expert out - after all, something must have caused the problem in the first place, right? But at the very least it looks like my new baby son, wife and I will have warmth tonight - plus I've learned something into the bargain.

Many, many thanks

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back