Boundary Wall Measurement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to have a new boundary wall built at the front and side of my bungalow property. I know it has to be no more than 1m high next to a highway.

Q1) Where is that measured from? My side (about 18" higher) :) , the road side (who knows where that is. No kerbs) or the middle of the road (assuming it hasn't worn down 6")?

Q2 Does this apply to the unmetalled bridleway at the side of the property? and again, where on earth is that measured from?

Sponsored Links
The 1m limit applies to any highway, including private rights of way, and footpaths.

Height is measured from the highest part of the natural ground level immediately adjacent to the structure

You can apply for permission to build it higher
I could but I don't need it any higher. It's currently about 300mm and the front of the garden drops off quite steeply to it. Just want to re-build it to about 1m and backfill to reduce the slope to something safely mowable.

I've been looking at retaining options. A friend yesterday suggested Unilogs which I hadn't heard of. Seem simpler and easier than gabions which is where I was thinking. I was looking on a site for design guides and I think they'd taken a cross section of my front garden to use in the drawing. Which is handy. :)

Sponsored Links
And after I posted, I thought of an additional question someone will know. If I build the wall to a metre high, if I want to put some wing walls up to the gates which would be 5' high, do I need planning permission for them as they go about the 1m mark? The gates are set back from the highway about 15' and currently have feather fencing up to them with a hedge hiding the fence. I found a picture.

kgna68

http://prntscr.com/kgna68
kgna68

kgna68

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back