Boundary wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boundary wall that I will be building up against and was wondering if damp could get up this wall and effect my cavity wall, a diagram below shows the possible action:

Thanks

Attachments

• 78139590-41C4-4E29-92F9-CA43175CBB30.jpeg
    78139590-41C4-4E29-92F9-CA43175CBB30.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Yes that would be a classic example of the dpc being bridged.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Put a DPC membrane against the existing wall, you can stick it with bitumen paint, you may get away with just using bitumen, you should also put a flashing at the top of the existing wall to prevent water running down wall.

Where would the damp go? can it then cross the cavity?

Thanks

Walls need to breathe so building against a source of damp increases the likelihood of bridging if the risks are already present (poor construction, failed ties etc).

Blup

You could also build this section of wall in engineering brick

Attachments

• upload_2022-4-22_8-52-29.jpeg
    upload_2022-4-22_8-52-29.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 49
You could also build this section of wall in engineering brick
Bang on what I was thinking Charlie. The wall is actually made of breeze block built in 1999-2000. On there is also two courses of them butterfly decorative blocks, finished with concrete capping at the top. I would suppose that it would be better to take the butterfly blocks and put normal bricks or leave it at the height it is after I take them off, got to be careful though as it is a party wall.

Thanks

Walls need to breathe so building against a source of damp increases the likelihood of bridging if the risks are already present (poor construction, failed ties etc).

Blup
so putting a dpm membrane up between the wall will stop damp rising and contaminating my outer leaf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back