Bowing (and royalty)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, most of us know some Asian countries use bowing as a form of greeting. However, when it comes to bowing to a member of the royal family, it's not something I'd be keen to do. Granted I'm not exactly a royalist! To me, it has subservient undertones in this context (as does the curtsy for women) and I don't like it.

The only time I've been face to face with a member of the royal family was years ago when Charles visited the college I was attending. I was but a few feet from him. Whilst it was on one level quite exciting to see him, I equate that to seeing a famous celebrity. I looked at him and thought of all the important/famous people he'd interacted with over the years, and of course his marriage to the rather attractive Diana! But I felt no urge to bow my head. Not sure if it broke protocol but my mate thrust his hand out for a hand shake, on which Charles obliged.

Would you be happy enough to bow if meeting a royal, or reluctant?

Sponsored Links
God Save The Queen...............Proud To Have Served...........and to bow in her Royal presence. :)

Met The Queen & D of E, face to face, we were recommended to do a neck bow, I did not

Sponsored Links
God Save The Queen...............Proud To Have Served...........and to bow in her Royal presence. :)

Doug, most people will laugh/mock at the notion, that we don't believe that the oath we took in the last century (28AUG79 for me), that 'I will be faithful and bear true allegiance' etc etc has an expiry date.

Back