Sir Clement Freud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the son of Jewish parents Ernst Ludwig Freud, an architect, and Lucie née Brasch. He was the grandson of psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud and the brother of artist Lucian Freud. His family fled to Britain from Nazi Germany, and his given name was anglicized from the original Clemens.[4] He spent his childhood in Hampstead. He attended Dartington Hall and St Paul's School, an independent school in London.[4]

During the Second World War Freud joined the Royal Ulster Rifles and served in the ranks throughout the war. He acted as an aide to Field Marshal Montgomery. He worked at the Nuremburg Trials and in 1947 was commissioned as an officer.[5] He married June Flewett (the inspiration for Lucy Pevensie in C. S. Lewis's children's series the Chronicles of Narnia)[6] in 1950, and the couple had five children.

I appreciate most of you wouldn't listen to rubbish like just a minute? or remember his cullinary efforts or remember his venture into advertising?
with henry the blood hound.
he was the epitomy of droll.
to me its like he was an institution,

Freud was one of Britain's first "celebrity chefs", having worked at the Dorchester Hotel, and went on to run his own restaurant in Sloane Square at a relatively young age. As well as this, he had various newspaper and magazine columns, and was later a familiar face on television for his appearance in a series of dog food commercials (for Minced Morsels) in which he co-starred with a bloodhound called Henry (played by a number of dogs) which shared his trademark "hangdog" expression. In 1968 he wrote a children's book, Grimble. Six years later he wrote a sequel: Grimble at Christmas.

Whilst running a nightclub he met a newspaper editor who gave him a job as a sports journalist. From there he became an award-winning food and drink writer

this man as the grandson of sygmund freud, had one of the most facinating yet understated lives, stuff your celebrity or your reality tv, this man was the real thing.

For many, he was best known as a panelist on the popular Radio 4 panel game Just a Minute where his deadpan delivery was popular with audiences. In one edition during his turn to speak he said: "There’s not much doubt but we are in a period of great inflation. As the farmer said to me the other day, 'Apples are going up,' to which I replied, 'This would come as a severe blow to Sir Isaac Newton.'" He was a contestant on the first episode of Just a Minute in 1967 and had taken part in every series until his death.

Freud performed a small monologue for the Wings 1973 album Band on the Run, and appeared on the album's cover.

In 1974, he was elected Rector of the University of Dundee and served two three-year terms.

A generation later, in 2002, he was elected Rector of the University of St Andrews, beating feminist and academic Germaine Greer and local challenger Barry Joss, holding the position for one term.

for some this interllectual giant of a man will be sorely missed RIP

Sponsored Links
Sadly missed, I thought he was superb with a sense of humour that I could certainly relate too. :cry:

I to am a JAMinute fan Good rest a top man

the news really made me a bit sad, that dont happen often with people i dont really know

:(

Sponsored Links
May I just echo your sentiments WDIK?

I have fond memories of his broadcasting from years gone past. As a boy I remember a man who seemed highly intelligent yet there was something about him that was different. The difference was he had humour, a great sense of humour. The face seemed so stern yet somehow even as a young boy, I could see he was laughing inside. Like some great old School Master. I'm not saying he was the sort of bloke I could go out with for a few pints every week (not that he'd want to spend any time with me either), but what a great character to just simply sit back and watch. Are there any 'big characters' any more? I cannot think of any but perhaps I'm too old to recognise it?

RIP big man.

EDIT: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8002592.stm

I loved the last line in the video.

this man, is was :cry:

the true deffination of celebrity.

its people who have a problem, with their system of aglinement when it comes to defining people who have any level of import with regard to their personal values.

so cheapened, is the generalised perception that people who really do deserve being noticed, frankly end up regardlessly, being dumbed down, to serve their lack of education and intelligence and interlect.

sorry this is a bit of the old world claiming back the limelight where everyone thinks, youtube and ipods are the only important things in life.

Back