How A Council Should Be Run!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I LIKE THE SOUND OF THIS MAN

A maverick mayor elected after promising to slash council spending, clear the streets of yobs and ditch politically correct services is the torchbearer for how towns should be run.

On his first morning as Mayor of Doncaster in South Yorkshire, Peter Davies cut his salary from £73,000 to £30,000 then closed the council’s newspaper for "peddling politics on the rates".

Now three weeks into his job, Mr Davies is pressing ahead with plans he hopes will see the number of town councillors cut from 63 to just 21, saving taxpayers £800,000.
Mr Davies said: "If 100 senators can run the United States of America, I can’t see how 63 councillors are needed to run Doncaster".

He has withdrawn Doncaster from the Local Government Association and the Local Government Information Unit, saving another £200,000. Mr Davies said, "They are just talking shops".

"Doncaster is in for some serious un-twinning. We are twinned with probably nine other cities around the world and they are just for people to fly off and have a binge at the council’s expense".

The mayor’s chauffeur-driven car has also been axed by Mr Davies and the driver given another job. Mr Davies, born and bred in Doncaster, swept to power in the May election with 24,244 votes as a candidate for the English Democrats, a party that wants tight immigration curbs, an English Parliament and a law forcing every public building to fly the flag of St. George.

He has promised to end council funding for Doncaster’s International Women’s Day, Black History Month and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender History Month.
He said, "Politicians have got completely out of touch with what people want.

"We need to cut costs. I want to pass on some savings I make in reduced taxes and use the rest for things we really need, like improved children’s services".

Mr Davies has received messages from well wishers across the country and abroad as news of his no-nonsense approach spreads.

Perhaps if we had a mayor in Bristol, my rates wouldn't be £1400. :(

Sponsored Links
Did he say he would slash taxes , take on unemployment and crime, sort out housing issues etc etc? Or is he too busy glory seeking with issues that are neither here nor there? Did he actually do anything , this is from 2009 isnt it?

I am slightly sceptical that Doncaster even has a black history month.

Did he say he would slash taxes , take on unemployment and crime, sort out housing issues etc etc? Or is he too busy glory seeking with issues that are neither here nor there?

What does a council have to do with unemployment? Can they create useful jobs? Simple answer is No.
What do councils have to do with crime? They have Yorkshire Police to sort crime out.
Now,,, Housing,, Hmmm being as the last government stopped councils building new social housing, perhaps that's the one thing you mention that they can do something about.
As for this local politician cutting his own salary from £73,000 to £30,000,,, we should applaud him. For planning to cut the amount of councillors from 63 to 21, this man deserves a medal. As for ending funding for Donny's International Womens Day, Black History Month and LGBT History Month, this chap should probably be knighted.
Arise Sir Davies of Donny.

PS here in Derby, our local councillors had a review done about how much they should be paid as councillors. The review recommended that the amount paid should be reduced. They have just voted to think about it and consider the recommendations in a years time. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
So , three years into his reign , is Doncaster any better off?

As for ending funding for Donny's International Womens Day, Black History Month and LGBT History Month, this chap should probably be knighted.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1956907#1956907#ixzz1JFAXlU38

As far as I am aware the council only provided minimal funding and these organisations could go on without council funding.
Taking away translation services for none English speaking citizens was just plain reckless.
What if a none English speaking woman was suffering domestic abuse for instance?

If you went and lived in Saudi do you think the authorities there would provide you with free translation services?
If the woman can't speak English then let her return to whence she came from and complain there. Would the domestic abuse be like being made to wear a veil or tent when in public, being locked in the house when her husband goes out, that kind of thing.

If you went and lived in Saudi do you think the authorities there would provide you with free translation services?

how do you know they don't???
most westernised countries do

If the woman can't speak English then let her return to whence she came from and complain there. Would the domestic abuse be like being made to wear a veil or tent when in public, being locked in the house when her husband goes out, that kind of thing.

Domestic abuse can mean a lot of different things. These statistics I think were published 05 but I think you get the drift.
http://www.womensaid.org.uk/page.asp?section=000100010010000400020003
What if some of these British citizens dont speak good enough English? Should we say ''well though , go and learn to speak English whilst you and your children are being violently abused and come back when you are able to fill in a form, if you are still alive''?

I have been to Doncaster, 1988 ish , never went back and I wouldnt believe a politician , not even if he was my mum.
Especially if he was from Doncaster. :LOL:

thatbloke";p="1956911 said:
Taking away translation services for none English speaking citizens was just plain reckless.
What if a none English speaking woman was suffering domestic abuse for instance?

What these people need to do is recognise the fact that they need to use the language of the country they're in. If in need of services such as an interpreter because of neglecting to learn the language, then pay for one or get a friend to help.

E.g..If you have a car that breaks down and you don't know how to fix it you pay somebody to fix it or get a friend to do it for nothing. You don't go to the local council to fix it, do you.

why would anyone go to the council to get their car fixed?

You do realise that you are trying to have an intelligent conversation with small minded ignorant racists who blame all theirs and the countries problems on non white people
who overall are likely to contribute more to this country than them and the millions of work shy white chavs they represent.

They make their mindless comments and ignore all the horrors committed by this country to increase its own wealth largely on the people they complain about

Sponsored Links
Back