Tory Government is planning for a defeat

Who pencilled in the election for Nov. 14th?

He might, but any tax cuts this year will be taken with a large pinch of salt.

George Osborne says he has been told the date. It makes total sense anyway. Have the Tory conference, then go straight into an election.

What I was getting at is that we might be having an out of schedule "emergency" budget in September, purely to launch a general election campaign. Has anything like this ever happened before? For a party that claims to respect tradition, they seem to have no problem tearing them up when it suits them.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
November will also give him 2 years in office, and bragging rights over Trussed. I can't see him staying in the country, with his family and business connection to California. It is a pity that a genuinely able person has been dragged into the hard right of Conservative politics.

George Osborne says he has been told the date. It makes total sense anyway. Have the Tory conference, then go straight into an election.

What I was getting at is that we might be having an out of schedule "emergency" budget in September, purely to launch a general election campaign. Has anything like this ever happened before? For a party that claims to respect tradition, they seem to have no problem tearing them up when it suits them.
Did his old mucker Lord Cameron slip him a note?
Maybe. Leaving it that close to xmas is asking for trouble. But there don't seem to be many good options left for Rish! to hang on to. I can see why they'd offer tax cuts in the spring but too much threatens Hunt's plan to reduce inflation, so he'll have to slice with the skill of a sushimi chef to have any affect. Cutting taxes after the summer recess will stink of bribery.

He is tempted to leave it to the last possible minute in the hope that something will turn up. A tsunami, or a pandemic, or a small war, for example.

Or a disease that kills the under-60s but leaves Tory voters unharmed.

Sponsored Links
Back