Tory Government is planning for a defeat

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
"Rishi Sunak, UK prime minister, has promised there is “more to come” on pre-election tax cuts, as the government left open the possibility of two further fiscal events between now and polling day.

“Our priorities are very clear. It is controlling spending and welfare so that we can cut people’s taxes,” Sunak told broadcasters on Friday on a visit to Eastleigh in Hampshire."

He means he intends to cut public services.

Having raised income tax by freezing allowances during galloping inflation, he hopes to gain a few votes from the gullible backwoodsmen.

Secure in the knowledge that when our crumbling public services fall deeper into decay, he will no longer be here to face the problems.

As the FT said,

"If Sunak saves none of his coming war chest and blows the lot on tax cuts, the survival statistic will be zero, demonstrating that he knows his party’s chances at the election are minimal. That would be the actions of someone who merely wants to make life difficult for Labour."

And also difficult for the nation.

Sponsored Links
"Rishi Sunak, UK prime minister, has promised there is “more to come” on pre-election tax cuts, as the government left open the possibility of two further fiscal events between now and polling day.

“Our priorities are very clear. It is controlling spending and welfare so that we can cut people’s taxes,” Sunak told broadcasters on Friday on a visit to Eastleigh in Hampshire."

He means he intends to cut public services.

Having raised income tax by freezing allowances during galloping inflation, he hopes to gain a few votes from the gullible backwoodsmen.

Secure in the knowledge that when our crumbling public services fall deeper into decay, he will no longer be here to face the problems.

As the FT said,

"If Sunak saves none of his coming war chest and blows the lot on tax cuts, the survival statistic will be zero, demonstrating that he knows his party’s chances at the election are minimal. That would be the actions of someone who merely wants to make life difficult for Labour."

And also difficult for the nation.
It;s what ALL previous governments of ALL persuasions have done leading up to an election. Nothing new there!!

Sponsored Links
I think the election will be like 2010 - with nobody wanting to win
the economy will be in a far worse state than 2010
even though the govt did a huge amount of QE, interests rates were low so cost the debt wasnt horrendous.

In 2024 whoever wins will inherit:
massive debt
huge cost of borrowing
councils going bust
public services cut to breaking point
wealth inequality so bad that that even middle class professionals are suffering fuel poverty
a housing crisis at point of collapse

I cant imagine anybody wanting to take that lot on -if Keir Starmer wants a go, good for him he might as well

I cant imagine anybody wanting to take that lot on -if Keir Starmer wants a go, good for him he might as well
You've changed you tune from 'Keir will sort it’ to 'Keir will have a go but don’t expect any good to come of it'.

Tax cuts

They have been up and down like a yo yo
For the last few years

Mind you it is election year so an attempt to bribe the voters is always a good policy ??

Soon as or if you get voted in you than bung em up ??? Tis how it works

Simples really ?? Or so one would think ?? Although some in here will
Probably struggle with getting there eads around it :ROFLMAO:

as the government left open the possibility of two further fiscal events between now and polling day

Yet another one. Please, no!!!!!!

Presumably, one of these is the Budget on 6 March. When would the second one be? Election is pencilled in for 14 November. There is 6 weeks purdah before this, meaning 1 October at the latest. They will be in recess for the Party conferences for three weeks before 1 October. So we're looking at a mini-budget at the start of September? If they pass tax cuts, when would they actually come into effect?

It;s what ALL previous governments of ALL persuasions have done leading up to an election. Nothing new there!!
Just like Khan and his ULEZ expansion. Now, with a mayoral election coming up, he's found enough money to freeze the bus and train fares to look like the good guy.

Actually, to "the Tory government intends to leave the country in an even worse mess that they have already achieved."

Which is saying something.
:unsure: I thought you couldn’t see what I was posting? Am I off your ignore list now or is that only for the questions I ask you that you want to avoid answering?

Yet another one. Please, no!!!!!!

Presumably, one of these is the Budget on 6 March. When would the second one be? Election is pencilled in for 14 November. There is 6 weeks purdah before this, meaning 1 October at the latest. They will be in recess for the Party conferences for three weeks before 1 October. So we're looking at a mini-budget at the start of September? If they pass tax cuts, when would they actually come into effect?
Who pencilled in the election for Nov. 14th?

He might, but any tax cuts this year will be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Sponsored Links
Back