Bowing Counter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am almost there with my self build entertainment unit and noticed today a issue that I was hoping wouldn't (wistfully) wouldn't occur. The inner vertical of the shelving units on either side are causing a slight bowing of the counter top. The counter top is 2x18mm boards and the verticals on top are 2x 18mm boards built out to look chunky. The shelves are 36mm. All mdf. It sits on top a 2x3 ladder frame, the cross braces are directly under the base unit verticals. There's a 100mm wide brace under the counter between the base units sides.

Does anyone have any bright ideas of how to retrofit a support to remove the bow? I think it's just towards the front as the counter at the back sits on 15mm base unit backboards that sits on the ladder. I'm thinking either a couple of heavy duty angles either side at the right hight and tap in a heavy duty flat bar. Or a central upright, which it not preferred. There's a brace in the ladder frame halfway too but no foot underneath.

Attachments

• 20221120_185214~2.jpg
    20221120_185214~2.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
I was thinking today a metal goal post frame a third of the way in, with an angle bar across the top for extra rigidity.

I need to temp jack up and prop the counter whilst I put in the frame. Your adjustable leg idea might work as a little acro prop actually. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back