Kitchen double base unit arrive bowed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all.

Bit of adivce if you please.

I've Taken delivery of a new kitchen set of cabinets, upon inspection, the double base units (1200mm wide) are not flat when you put a level on the top.

They are bowed upwards around 7mm, like the central post is slightly too tall and pushing the crossmember (under worktop, joining the sides) upwards.

With some weight I can depress this, and I'll be putting solid 40mm oak worktop on it, which is heavy... but I'm not sure I should... been waiting weeks and bloody annoyed to say the least.

Thought I'd ask here to see if 'it's all in a day for a fitter' and I'm being picky or I should send it back and wait for new ones.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Is it bowed, or is the post too tall?
Measure each side and the middle.
If post is too tall you will force the bottom to dip under pressure.
Contact the supplier and see what they say.

Cheers for that... It's 2mm taller than the side panels.

Can't get through to the supplier atm... :mad:

There are 6 legs on this puppy, so I suppose I could make a work around... but I'm not sure that's the point really.

If you slack off the centre legs won't it sag back level . After worktop is on the legs nearly always seem to require a bit of tweaking.

Sponsored Links
Yes, there is some movement if I raise the centre legs, was wondering if this workaround could lead to other issues aligning doors, that might not be that straight-forward.

If you put a 4ft straight edge under the bottom of the unit and it flat,level and the sides and mid post are upright you should be good to go. The adjustment in hinges to take care of aligning the doors

Trim the centre post down?
Be quicker than waiting for supplier to get their backend in gear.

these are made in factories in there millions all exactly the same so my thoughts something has gone in the joint that shouldn't be there holding it open by the 2mm but would expect this to be quite visible have you had a close look at the joints for gaps or debris ??

these are made in factories in there millions all exactly the same...
You'd have thought so, but whilst dimensional errors are very uncommon, they do occur. At a couple of millimetres though, I'd be inclined to have a look see if some muppet has edge-banded one or both of the ends by mistake.

OK, Once unit is sorted, the other unit has not been glued and doweled properly, there is a 2mm gap at the bottom of the central post. I could doctor it, but as it's new I'll speak to the manufacturer first.

Thanks for the ideas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back