Box lintel vrs RSJ ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone explain the difference in application suitability between box lintels and RSJ's?

I'm removing a 3m long load bearing wall between my kitchen and dining room and during my research have read much conflicting information about the pros and cons of each.

If it matters, it will be resting at each end on other load bearing walls and there is very little load above other than an offset stud wall that isn't tied into the roof or anything, just free standing. I think the only reason it was a load bearing wall is that the joist span of 16' was just a bit too long for the size and spacing of the joists used.

So, do I use an RSJ or a lintel and what are the pros and cons of each in terms of cost, weight, handling, load calculations and any inspection or calculation documentation differences that they may have?

Thanks.

Oh, and on a side note, as the wall above is offsett by about 12" and not directly over the load bearing wall, do I need to acro prop both sides of the wall, or could I just use props on the side of the wall that is under the upstairs stud wal if that makes any sense, as it would be in the ideal place to prop?

Sponsored Links
A steel beam sourced from your local steel stockholder is likely to be cheaper than a proprietary box lintel.

Sponsored Links
...they'll be getting harder .... calcs are not normally required if a standard lintol is used :p

And they may be lighter too, and no need for timber wedges to fit plasterboard to, nor padstones

The OP needs to do the sums for all of the job not just the price of a beam

...they'll be getting harder .... calcs are not normally required if a standard lintol is used
Actually, that's not strictly true: the only difference being that, if you use one manufacturer's lintels for a project, you can normally wang the calcs out of them for "free" (paid for in the price of the lintels ofc). Someone, somewhere, does some numbers.

I've always understood that the BCO can request calcs, but when standard lintols are used, then their loading is known and so calcs are not required - as long as a particular lintol is specified.

But with steels beams, calcs for loading and beam will be required.

A few councils near me will also 'approve' steel beams upto certain spans in a domestic environment, without the need to calculate them. I'm trying to get hold of their tables!

Nice link - in fact too nice ...... too much information there :eek:

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back