Boxed in Boiler Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been asked by one of my Customers to have a look at a boiler flue that has been boxed in. It is a rental property and during the Landlords Gas Check today the engineer highlighted that the flue (length about 3m running across the bedroom to an outside wall) cannot be boxed in along it's length.
Apparently, whilst this has been OK for the 4 years since it was installed, a change in 'the regulations' means that this is no longer the case.

Can anyone confirm whether there has been a change in any regulations to this effect, which could then be retropsectively applied to an existing installation.

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
I have seen a bulletin report from worcester stating that flue's which are contained within a box or duct must be fitted in such a way so that the flue in its entirety must be visible for inspection at service intervals.

Wether this is a change in regulations or just for the particular manufacturer i'm not sure.

Also if this was fitted previously it would be classed as NTCS (not to current standards) therefore an advisory should be left (as was) but you are under no obligation to have the matter rectified.

HTH Sam

Thanks Gordon,

Should the Landlady expect them to be applied to an existing installation? I know that the Building Regs apply at the point the work was carried out (unless additional major work is carried out at a later date when current regs may be applied).

Sponsored Links
a boxed in flue fitted before (June i think) 2004 is classed as NCS, after that a risk assessment as per CORGI TB008 should be carried out to ascertain what the classification should be

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back