Replacing a boxed in flue

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Glow Worm system boiler is end of life. The boiler is in the kitchen and has a 5.2m standard horizontal flue through the wall. The flue is boxed in using batten and plasterboard. Appropriate inspection hatches are present.

As most flues are a standard size, can an installer pull the existing flue through the boxing? The flue is on the ground floor so I would have thought that you could pull each length through using a piece of rope and then push it together within the boxing.

If not, what is standard? Do you expect it to be removed before you arrive?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid the boxing will have to come down. Depending on boiler most newer flues need securing screws at joints. Also flue needs to be supported along the route so if flue clamps were fitted to old flue they will need to be slackened off to remove the older flue.

• Thanks
Reactions: bsr
A lot of condensing boiler require the flue to fall back to the boiler ,depending on the make it’s 25 mm per meter.,clipped and screwed at ever joint

Sponsored Links
Interesting here's the current situation. 6m of flue only fixed to the boiler at one end and the core through the wall at the other!

Not good practice I guess? But ok for 20 years.
DSC_0430.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back