Flue boxed in (what to expect)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boilers flue runs through the bathroom and is boxed in. I'm getting it serviced on tuesday and was wondering if he'll be able to service it. He told me it needs inspection hatches but i won't be able to get it done by then. Will he turn it off ? And if so should i cancel the service till i can get the hatches in ? . I don't want to waste his time (or freeze)

Sponsored Links
Bit late to cancel the poor sod now. :rolleyes:

He should mark it at risk and ask you to switch it off,.

If you refuse you are liable for any bad things that happen.

The box is tiled :oops: Dan i've had a bit of a read up and understand (rightly or wrongly) that he will turn it off by the switch and label it, but then i can turn it back on but i'm responsible for this. This way my service lad will have covered his backside and it'll buy me a bit of time to get it done properly. You can see down the boxing but its about four metres long so he won't be able see the joints.

Sponsored Links
Ok well yes he would check the boiler and then at risk it and ask you to sigh the form to say of you turn it back on it's your fault

Not to mention to use a gas appliance labeled "at risk" or "immediately dangerous" is an offence that could lead to a fine or imprisonment.
I hope you don't have a family with you because if the flue isn't fixed properly and comes apart eventually (which you won't know about because it's concealed) and CO leaks Into your property it will be your fault.
It might have been alright so far, but then so were quite a few others that have led to CO poisoning or even death.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back