Installing inspection hatches for flue in void

T-T

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've got a heating issue (no hot water), but the technician rated our boiler as having a flue in void so he couldn't touch it. He reckoned I could install inspection hatches myself though - the flue goes through the width of the kitchen against the wall/ceiling to the outside, and it's boxed in with what looks like plasterboard.

My question is, is it worth getting a fire-rated one like this? https://tradeaccesspanels.co.uk/fire-rated-access-panel
My worry is that it would be quite heavy for relatively unsupported plasterboard?

Looks like there are cheap plastic ones like https://tradeaccesspanels.co.uk/plastic-access-panel
But obviously don't want to compromise when it comes to gas safety.

Any advice welcome. Cheers

Sponsored Links
but the technician rated our boiler as having a flue in void so he couldn't touch it
Totall *******s, he/she is a lazy barsteward, they could have fixed your boiler and issued you with a notice about the lack of inspection hatches, no need for them to be fire rated they are simply a way of visually inspecting the flue nothing else

Not sure on fire rating. The flue could be classed as ‘At Risk’, no reason why your engineer couldn’t touch the boiler, assessment of the flue in the void would be needed.

Totall *******s, he/she is a lazy barsteward, they could have fixed your boiler and issued you with a notice about the lack of inspection hatches, no need for them to be fire rated they are simply a way of visually inspecting the flue nothing else
Ah, I did suspect. Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I'll probably install them - and call someone else out next time.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is definitely At Risk at the very least. Was it a manufacturers call?

Most would fix it then AR the boiler but it might be his company rules that he doesn't work on it as once they are fixed no one ever gets the hatches fitted.

Did he leave any paperwork and if he was an independent did he charge for the wasted call?

Ps the non fire rated hatches are fine. More info here:

Show us which boilere you have and any fault codes etc and we might be able to point you in the right direction

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Your boiler is definitely At Risk at the very least. Was it a manufacturers call?

Most would fix it then AR the boiler but it might be his company rules that he doesn't work on it as once they are fixed no one ever gets the hatches fitted.

Did he leave any paperwork and if he was an independent did he charge for the wasted call?

Thanks for the info. It was an independent contractor, he didn't leave any paperwork, nor did he charge me for the call out.

Show us which boilere you have and any fault codes etc and we might be able to point you in the right direction

It's an old Ravenheat (which I do suspect might have been why he wasn't keen). I think the model is a Ravenheat RSF 82e.

The issue is that the hot water isn't working, unless the heating is also on. The heating on its own is fine.

It's an old Ravenheat (which I do suspect might have been why he wasn't keen). I think the model is a Ravenheat RSF 82e.

The issue is that the hot water isn't working, unless the heating is also on. The heating on its own is fine.
Yes it will be the diverter valve diaphragm needing replaced, not an expensive part, but as you suspect your biggest problem is getting someone who is willing to do it, not a hard job , but can be a PITA, on these

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back