COMBI BOILER FLUE REGULATIONS.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi boiler that was fitted about 15 years ago and have been told that it has been fitted incorrectly.
It replaced an older system and the plumber fitted a 45 degree elbow on the top of the new boiler which then fitted into the old flue tube to the roof. The new flue inside the old flue has the covers fitted on the roof and its worked ok. So when did this 600mm straight regulation come into force or has it always been the regulation.

Sponsored Links
firstly is it an open flued appliance? the regs for an open flue say the flue "should" rise 600mm vertically before any bend which "should not" be 90 degree, not mandatory, therefore if it is open flue and passes a spillage test it can only be NCS (not to current standards) and up to you whether you fix it or not

Sponsored Links
Hi Folks,

It is an open flue.
It is fitted with a 45 degree bend.
What is this spillage test?

A spillage test determines whether the flue is clearing the products of combustion effectively or not. What do your manufacturers instructions say about the flue? These override ALL other regulations.

I cant do much about the flue but I could easily do the other work.

The back wall is made up of two vertical pieces of plasterboard which was connected up the middle with a strap of wood (like the back of a wardrope). The strap had come loose and the join was showing which has a gap of about 4mm. Originally it was one piece but the fitters cut it in half for access then refitted the two halves. The verticle gap was sealed with some sort of silver tape and the wooden strap refitted. Could I just refit this or seal the wall with heavy polythene or would I have to replasterboard the wall. The back wall backs on to a walk in bedroom cupboard and not directly to the bedroom. The boiler is fitted to the lefthand side of the cupboard....not the back wall.
They also said I should fit a vent in my hallway. The bottom of the boiler cupboard is open where the pipes come up from under the floor. The cupboard is fitted with a louver door. If I cut a vent in my hall floor would that be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back