Boxing in Fuse Box / Mains Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a fusebox and mains switch in our flat which is located behind the main front door. It has never been boxed in and i am now looking to get this boxed in. Any ideas on what best way to do this. Here is a image of the area i am working with.

The front door opens inwards and towards the fuse box

Chris

Sponsored Links
It's a pity whoever fitted that consumer unit didn't move it three or four inches to the left so you had a chance of replacing that missing architrave round the door frame. Also, it would have given you suffucient room to build a cupboard with a door, and would have allowed the flap on the consumer unit to be dropped down.

Whatever type of cupboard you have you need to be able to remove the cover from the consumer unit for any maintenance. Also the electricity supplier's equipment must not be obstructed either.

A cupboard with a door would be good.
If this is not possible some kind of boxing which can be easily removed for access will have to do.

We are going to fit the architrave round the door frame that is missing. There is just a bit of room to do that but not much. On the image looks like there is no room but we could just get some down the side of the box.

Agree to what you say about it being to near the frame. As its a council flat i guest it was the cheapest way for them.

If i build a frame around it with some type of door on the front. Would a vent be best fitted to the rop of the box

Chris

Be very careful with any fixings below the area as that mains cable route may not be obvious

Sponsored Links
I don't think a vent is particularly necessary, but whatever you do one must be able to remove the cover from the consumer unit (top) for inspection and repairs.

All too often cupboards are built and the electrician cannot access the electrical equipment properly.

You may find those grey cables (tails) are in the way.

Tempting as it is to bend them out of the way, this can loosen the connections at the meter and the consumer unit.

You may want to employ an electrician to move the consumer unit and the tails over to the left slightly.

Be very careful with any fixings below the area as that mains cable route may not be obvious

And above the consumer unit. There probably are cables just under the surface of the wall running from the top of the consumer unit up to the ceiling.

No More Nails is your friend!

I'd make a box that can be virtually free standing that covers everything and you can remove it completely for any maintenance work.

You could call PK electricals and ask them to move the consumer unit over a bit. Looks like a job lot type of refurb

I concur, you have to take somekind of pride in your work whatever you do. Looks like a firm who've under quoted to get a contract and done the work as economical as possible. Probably more trunking in places where if it was their own home they'd chase it all in.

Is that the case Chris?

I think it is policy with a lot of councils now to lash trunking everywhere, even to the ceiling rose with the switch line.

Ben though there is trunking, There is still a chance there is still some cables in the wall still in use, so beware when fixing anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back