Fuse Box Move to exterior...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are renovating our flat and would like to move the fuse box to a more convenient location. We wondered whether there were any laws or advice against us putting it outside the front door of the flat and in the communal stairway area, subject to the neighbours'approval ofcourse.

Any advice gratefully received.

Douglas

Sponsored Links
There are no specific requirements that prevent you putting a consumer unit inside or outside given that it complies with the general requirements access, mutual discrimination etc. But would you feel happy having it where somebody else could turn off your power?

How is outside the flat more convenient?

:eek:

So your in the shower, naked, and the RCD trips.

You could covort around naked, go and reset the RCD and continue your shower.

But now you have to wrap a towel round yourself, or get dried and dressed if your modest, go outside and reset the RCD in full view of everyone.

I know which one I'd prefer.

How is outside the flat more convenient?

:eek:

So your in the shower, naked, and the RCD trips.

You could covort around naked, go and reset the RCD and continue your shower.

But now you have to wrap a towel round yourself, or get dried and dressed if your modest, go outside and reset the RCD in full view of everyone.

I know which one I'd prefer.

I'd want to be dried and dressed to reset anything electrical, regardless of where it was located!

Sponsored Links
So in interests of safety you think the consumer unit should be outside so one needs to be fully dressed to access it.

I can always find my cap, it's a good insulator. But saying that mine is in garage and it is a real pain when lighting trips it and I have to get dressed and go outside in the rain to access garage to re-set it.

But garage is lockable and I would think is fitted outside then one would want it lockable. Only exception may be if radio ham with unattended operation and you require a point where the DTi can switch off all transmitters in emergency as required in licence.

I still have one socket controlled by outside switch from days when I used Packet Radio but that must be rare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back