Consumer Unit Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've seen a bungalow I'm interested in buying but would be grateful for some advice about the current location of the CU.

It's outside in the electric meter cupboard. Obviously it's not very convenient but I was wondering whether it is advisable to have it there what with the freezing temperatures we get sometimes.

I don't know whether it was put there to make it easier to connect up the sockets in the summerhouse.

Basically, I'm asking whether, if I buy the bungalow, should I have the CU moved indoors?

Sponsored Links
You say bungalow... but just want to confirm that its not a static caravan on a trailer park, that estate agents like to try and call bungalows is it?... they seem to have fuseboards in outside metering cabinets quite often.

But as you say you have a summer house I assume that this is not actually the case?

No, it's not a static caravan or mobile home, it's a bungalow :)

Advantage is that it doesn't take up space in the house.
Disadvantage a fuse/mcb/rcd operates on a dark windy night.

Sponsored Links
It's not really ideal from a convenience point of view, but the cold etc won't do it any harm.

Also the supply companies might take a dim view because usually the meter cupboard is reserved for their equipment only.

If they need the space to accommodate other equipment they could ask you to move it.

It's a buyer's market.

Knock a grand off the offer to pay for it to be moved.

What is the other side of the fuse box? Is it a garage, or a convenient room to have the fuse box?

What age is the bungalow, it seems like an old fashioned place to put the board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back