Boxing in pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I need to box in some pipes in my second downstairs bathroom(junk room at the moment - but its time to get it sorted).

Theres a few pipes going from the floor to the ceiling that I want to box in. I've got some mdf and some plywood(not sure of the best thing to use yet?) but my query relates to the boxing in.

I'm going to build a frame, from each wall outwards, making a right angle of wood if you get me, at the bottom and the top, would I also need to make a box frame somewhere in the middle?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
19 x 38 batten on each wall, MDF cut to height and screwed to batten. 2nd MDF panel screwed to other batten with one sheet of MDF overlapping onto other MDF sheet and glued and screwed together. No need for any sort of frame.

Andy

19 x 38 batten on each wall, MDF cut to height and screwed to batten. 2nd MDF panel screwed to other batten with one sheet of MDF overlapping onto other MDF sheet and glued and screwed together. No need for any sort of frame.

Andy

Didn't think about doing it like that, a frameless solution would be ideal. Will it not be flimsy where the 2 boards meet? I will be tiling or cladding over this, not yet decided what.

I will also need to leave a square section out so I can get to stoptaps and so forth, i assume that wouldnt be an issue? I could just screw a batton to the mdf(behind) and attach the square cutout to that.

Thanks

Depends how big the boxin-in will be, if it it is 100mm x 150mm then you would use 12mm MDF, if it is much bigger then use 18mm MDF. As long as the joint where the boards meet is glued and pinned then it will be very strong.

Make sure that the stop cock access is big enough to get you hands and tools to the pipe work.

Andy

Sponsored Links

Andy

I also assume the 38mm wider part of the wood is fixed to the wall?

How much is between the pipework and the edge of the window?

You could cut the timber sheeting so that it is flush with the edge of the plaster work around the window and just have your timber batten above and below the window.

Does that make sense?

Andy

How much is between the pipework and the edge of the window?

You could cut the timber sheeting so that it is flush with the edge of the plaster work around the window and just have your timber batten above and below the window.

Does that make sense?

Andy

Theres not much gap at all, i think i would have to fit to the inside of the window or batten above and below it? Im taking the window out and replacing with glass blocks and also getting rid of the window sill and replacing with a flush one

Heres a photo anyway http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/Thyjones/942009c8.jpg

If your changing the window then it would be best to change the window first and see what you have to play with. I would move the 22mm pipe on the edge out of the way.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back