Boxing in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to box these pipes in, is basically drilling baton to the wall then screwing ply or mdf cut to size with circular saw?

There won't be any pipes or electrics will there?

The bottom pipes (around door needs to have plasterboard, is that just scored with a Stanley knife then screwed to baton
DSC_0693.JPG
DSC_0690.JPG
DSC_0691.JPG

Sponsored Links
That last one has got to run in possibly the most awkward way ever!

Sponsored Links
Maybe; some of that is definitely in the zones where buried electrical cables are allowed.

Nightmare, how would you know for sure? Which ones you talking about in particular? I assume I would need to put some baton in the wall with plugs.

Is boxing in difficult and with plasterboard on last one?

Last edited:
Here’s a random document with diagrams about electrical “safe zones”: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/NICEIC/Cables_Concealed_1.pdf
Google could find other explanations I’m sure.
Note the term “safe zone” is an odd choice of words;it means zones where an electrican is allowed to put cables, and is therefore dangerous to drill....
There is no foolproof way to find where buried cables are. But you should at least look for obvious things i.e. look at each lightswitch and socket and ask yourself how the wires might reach it within the “safe zones”.
You can buy detectors. They are not brilliant. If you can borrow one it would be worth playing with it - but beware, the new pipes will interfere with it to some extent.

Also: the pipes should probably be insulated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back