Boxing these pipes in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to box these pipes in and possibly the pipes running up under the sink. Shall I use baton then MDF or ply?

Under sink the same? Build a frame with baton then build around?
20200629_190535.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would baton and then use solid wood skirting over the pipes at low level, painted on the back before fitting. I wouldn't put MDF in contact with the floor.

Boxing in can be done in water resistant MDF.

A neat alternative might be Talon or Pendick pre-formed clip.on pipe covers

I would baton and then use solid wood skirting over the pipes at low level, painted on the back before fitting. I wouldn't put MDF in contact with the floor.

Boxing in can be done in water resistant MDF.
So baton into wall and piece of baton on inside of corner using skirting which is square at the top and no shapes on it.

Why painted? To waterproof?

Sponsored Links
The original Talon stuff can be clupped cdirectly to the pipes if you havevthe correctvtype of pipe clips. Odd stuff you will need to resort to 6mm plywood and 2 x 1 softwood battening

So baton into wall and piece of baton on inside of corner using skirting which is square at the top and no shapes on it.

Why painted? To waterproof?
Yes. If the skirting is in contact with the floor and the floor is going to get wet (which it will in a toilet with a single skin brick wall), you want to waterproof the skirting.

Pendock normally just goes onto softwood battening, but is available in several ranges and many sizes and has end caps available, too:

TK-TKD-600x400-300x200.jpg

Barratt-Pipe-boxing-Product-image-600x400-300x200.jpg

The stuff I've used on the past was formed plywood and came pre finished in white semi-matt finish

The thing is, you need to get it from places like builders merchants or plumbers merchants. It is rarely if ever sold through DIY sheds.

Take a look a pendock.co.uk

Pendock normally just goes onto softwood battening, but is available in several ranges and many sizes and has end caps available, too:

View attachment 197558
View attachment 197559

The stuff I've used on the past was formed plywood and came pre finished in white semi-matt finish

The thing is, you need to get it from places like builders merchants or plumbers merchants. It is rarely if ever sold through DIY sheds.

Take a look a pendock.co.uk

Looks lovely. Before I order 45mm x 150mm would clear the piping in the picture surely?

There's also a toilet not in the picture as well. Can you get anything which is bigger for this and the pipes under sink ?
20200629_190535.jpg
Screenshot_20200630-184539_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200630-184427_Chrome.jpg

I would be doing away with that cold tap, unless there is a need for cold for drinking/toothbrushing. You can set that thermostatic mixer to a comfortably warm temperature for hand washing.

There's also a toilet not in the picture as well. Can you get anything which is bigger for this and the pipes
Want to check if pipework will fit? Make up a test template the same approximate size as the Pendock (hardboard would do).

There is no reason why you can't use two pieces of Pendock and join them together to make a single, larger u-section by using something like a 12mm plywood binder piece up the inside, behind the join. And the larger MXF fire boxing goes up to 150 x 300mm, if needs be. Being plywood based it is also possible to trim down a Pendock section by 5 or 10mm by using a circular saw with a fine tooth blade (although a table saw would be better) should a tighter fit be needed

I precut with a stanley to reduce breakout on trimming, which seemed to work pretty well. I actually found that the Pendock pieces to box in pipework under a boiler were a better size for the bathroom pipework, so I used them instead.

The pipes are wider under toilet as they jutt out 60mm. I guess just get a deep enough boxing one for that area and keep same depth round the rest of the pipes the rest of the pipes are 35mm out from the wall.
20200703_184232.jpg
20200703_182939.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back