Boxing up existing canopy to make porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My property was a new build about 12 years ago when I purchased it. It came with a tile pitch triangular canopy. Like the pic example attached. from the ground to the highest part at the top of the pitch point is about 3.8m high and the width from one end to the other end of the lowest point is 2.8m. The canopy sits above ground that's my front garden area which is slabbed.

My question is, what is the rules about converting this on low budget to a porch? I could literally build timber frame around it and put some doors and windows and install brickslips. I read somewhere that you can build a porch without planning permission but there was something about the highest point couldn't exceed certain meters.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks
20220712_103812.jpg

Sponsored Links
Irrespective of whether it would meet the criteria required for it to be considered permitted development or not, given the age of your house it's highly likely that your house will have restricted permitted development rights anyway meaning you'd need planning permission no matter what. Check your deeds for any restrictions.

The canopy is already there and won't impact any PD criteria for any porch.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back