Boxing up pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you do here.
Do you tile to the floor and then box things up or you put a batten at the end of the plasterboard and tile up to there?

Also the back plasterboard in the whole bathroom is standard plasterboard not waterproof, is this a concern?

Finally can I go over tiles on the left hand side so tiling over tiles?
I will be using a standard toilet not a concealed one.

4CD614CC-A3FE-4DDE-9027-A4BFDF4B1C6C.jpeg

Sponsored Links
is the idea to take out everything from the bthroom and then do it up or do you just want to do just a bit? it looks like most of it needs ripping out and starting from scratch. if nothing else fit a couple of accessible isolators for the water.some of your plastic fittings haven't been made properly .

I wouldn't tile over tile if I were you.
There is a maximum weight that plasterboard will support, and most of that is already used by the current tiles, adhesive & grout.
Take the tiles off and then use a bonding primer to stabilise the plaster behind. Some will say use PVA, but that is water soluble so not ideal in a bathroom.

Plasterboard is not good in a really wet area like the bath/shower. Ideally you should rip out the plasterboard in those areas - probably be ok in the rest of the bathroom. Replace with your choice of waterproof tile backerboards - plenty to choose from.
I would use cement board like HardieBacker boards. There are the same thickness as plasterboard, so you can just replace the PB in the wet areas and you should still have a flat wall to tile on.
And "tank" the wet area using waterproof membranes or paint on. I have used the paint on type a couple of times and it works well. Tape any joints or screwholes first...

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back