Bracing for Fink Truss (8m x 8m detached house)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've been looking at my house survey, and I need to put in bracing for my roof as the two bars going across are inadequate, and I fully appreciate that, they look like they've been thrown up. My roof is a standard fink, spanning 8m length, 8m wide.

https://endotruss.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Roof-Terminology4.png

Next week I'm planning on buying a pack of battens and screwing them in to the main webs, from each opposite wallplate, diagonally to the bottom, as they won't be long enough, I'll put a middle batten in, and overlap by two beams on each side. Three battens per side. Six in total.

Along with doing that, do I need to do the same with the top chords, or the smaller webs??

Also, I can see three sizes from the building warehouses, I'm assuming I need 50 x 25mm, or can it be a slightly smaller 38 x 25mm?

Many thanks for knowledge and help :)

Sponsored Links
100 x 25mm longitudinal bracing at ridge ,rafter and ceiling node points is the specification, plus diagonal bracing also in 100 x 25mm. tantalised softwood. Look on some truss manufacturer's website for diagonal bracing arrangements for your size of roof .
ps that diagram you show is a load of rubbish.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou, looks like it's going to be a slightly larger project than expected, least it'll keep me busy, at the moment I have two pieces going 1/3 way across

I used that particular image simply to display the type I have

100 x 25mm longitudinal bracing at ridge ,rafter and ceiling node points is the specification, plus diagonal bracing also in 100 x 25mm. tantalised softwood. Look on some truss manufacturer's website for diagonal bracing arrangements for your size of roof .
ps that diagram you show is a load of rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back