Brad Nails - Suitable for making Featheredge Fence ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm thinking of constructing a featheredge board fence. I can get my hand on a Tacwise 191EL nailer.

Would the 35mm length brad nails be suitable for nailing the boards to the rails. Looking at the (galvanised) nails on the B&Q website I fear that they may nail straight through the board as they don't appear to have much of a head on them.

I'm sure I've seen vids of this type of fence being knocked up using a nail gun.

Has anybody got experience of using the above, if so any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Incidentally I'm assuming 35mm nails should be adequate with approx 25mm of the nail into the rail, with three rails being used.

Cheers,

T.

Sponsored Links
Nah, you need a proper nailer for that, with proper heads.
40mm galv clouts and a hammer are hard to beat IMO. (Although if you can get corrosion resistant annular ring shanks then even better)

18 gauge are pins 16 gauge are at least 4 times as strong and proper nails

Sponsored Links
If you are going to use a nailer for feather edge you need a proper Framing nailer that can fire good headed nails not summat that shoots out brad pins.

The Tacwise 191EL fires thin staples and pins that are worthless for anything other than upholstering a chair or sofa to be honest.

I put mine together using "decking" screws..
much easier to replace a broken or bady warped board if needs be.. ( and they do warp rather well some of them after a few months out in the weather.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back