Brake pad replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to replace the brake pads/discs on my 2008 Nissan Qashqai this morning however I could not loosen the caliper bolts. I tried some wd40 even took a hammer to my socket spanner. Any ideas bearing in mind the car is jacked up and I dont think I have room for the leverage I would need for a torque wrench?

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
These'll be the calliper bracket bolts, rather than the calliper itself I guess?
Heat them up mate - the locking compound sets like hell.
John :)

Sponsored Links
A bit brute force and they'll be off. If you do heat remember about the cv boot not to burn it.

Never had to heat bolts once for callipers.

You should only have to remove the bottom bolt and swing the caliper up and out of the way. With a decent socket and bar, I wouldn't envisage any problem in removing one of these bolts. You can hold the caliper up with a piece of string or a cable tie or summat.

With the standard 19mm hex bolts for holding the bracket on, you can give them some stick with a socket and a long bar....however, with spline bolts a la VW etc, round the bloody things off at your peril :eek:
If they give you problems, heat 'em up.

From memory, these aren't splined bolts, they are just plain hex bolts. If I remember rightly, they are 13mm and 19mm.
With a good technique and good fitting sockets, there should be no problem.

Yep - courtesy of good old Nissan they are 13mm flanged bolts to hold the calliper onto the bracket (no probs with those) and 19mm flanged from bracket to hub, as you say.
So often the case with these, they are as tight as hell but once cracked, out they come with your fingers! So typical with Jap influence - Sunderland made or otherwise.

Sponsored Links
Back