Brand new boiler quotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My boiler Glow worm 100e has come to the end of its life of 15 years. After countless repairs and replacement parts its time for a new one with winter coming. At the moment it has a bucket underneath and leaks about 6 inchs per day. I replaced the 4 gaskets on the heat exchanger two of them rock solid but to no avail. I'm not going to spend anymore money on it. Anyway I've got two quotes one from BG and another from a local guy. I want another two before I take the plunge. Sticking point is that it needs a vertical flue so the price goes up, pardon the pun.

BG £3100

Boiler BAXI Duo-Tec 28 Combi Erp

Local £2890

Boiler Worcester Bosch 29 cdi

Both prices include Fitting ,taking away the old one, wireless toys and a chemical flush

We have to go the finance route as I don't have that lying about.

BG = 14.9%
Local= 9.9%

What do you think?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
As a matter of interest can you post up the real cost with the interest added? You may well find that BGs quote is actually well over 6k............

Sponsored Links
The devil is in the detail.

- who is making the hole in the roof and resealing it? A qualified roofer or a bloke with 25mins on a one day swap?
- what parts and labour warranty are you getting (up to 10ys available - but not from BG)
- are you getting the cheapest, nastiest 'wireless toy' they can get their hands on or a branded, warranted expensive one?

I'm going to guess the expensively financed BG boiler will be out of warranty and you'll be paying for 'Homecare' before you finish the repayments.

Are they going to powerflush what could be a filthy system or chuck some chemicals in? Next time you do the washing, chuck your shirts in the sink and let them soak in washing powder. That is a chemical flush.

The wifi toy (Wave) from the local guy is from Bosch themselves and both will do a chemical flush. Both come with 10 yr gurantee depending on if you get it serviced by a qualified guy each year. The local guy & BG said you can get whoever you want for this as long as they are qualified.

Regards

Geoff

If the customer stays on contract with bg the boiler will be repaired for up to 15 years so the warranty argument is meaningless.

The answer to every problem is not a w@nkee Bosch approved installer. Even if you all need to flog more boilers to get free fleeces from the incentive scheme before winter sets in :whistle::whistle:;)

Well then, the answer is obvious isn't it?

Personally, we won't install a boiler without Powerflush; because you'd be first to complain in 3yrs time when the boiler starts dying and Bosch tell you it's full of muck and the warranty will be over.

You need a system filter for the 10yr warranty, btw.

And the hole in the roof?????

If you flog Vaillants there's a nice little rewards booklet. TVs, radios, etc.

At least Worcester put a small amount in a marketing/support fund that you could use to buy advertising, tools, new gas analyser - or perhaps a fleece. They don't shower you with gifts, which I think sums up their honest approach. Even so it is the best selling brand, must say something.

I know this forum likes their Intergases, but it also liked Kestons and Remeha Avantas, and a right pile of plip plops they turned out to be.

BOSCH one comes with the filter, not too sure about the BAXI. Hole in the roof? I dont know, the current combi goes straight up. Dont know how the other one is configured?

Thanks

Geoff

So your comparison was missing the £120 dirt filter for starters. As I said, the devil is in the detail.

If the customer stays on contract with bg the boiler will be repaired for up to 15 years so the warranty argument is meaningless.

So that's free, right?

If it isn't, can you explain what you mean by 'meaningless'?

Ah my bad!

I'm really embarrassed I didn't realise the Worcester price included a free service every year to help the punter keep the warranty up.

That's a fantastic offer well done (y)

So just to be absolutely clear, are you saying that the BG contract annual charge is cheaper than a boiler service from an independent?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back