Brand new boiler quotes

So just to be absolutely clear, are you saying that the BG contract annual charge is cheaper than a boiler service from an independent?

They both said quite clearly the warranty would stay in tact IF the bolier was serviced each year by a qualified guy at my expense. BG actually said they would do the first year free. I am under no illusion I need to maintain the boiler with a service each year to qualify for the warranty. However I am unsure as to the filter on the BAXI as I don't think BG installs one which is weird?

Cheers

Geoff

Sponsored Links
My first post says that they have to stay on contract; it's not me that's implying the servicing is free. Not sure you clarified whether free servicing is included??

I also never said BG contract was cheaper however they cover the whole system and not just the boiler. Would the independent stump up the cost of a new cylinder as part of the boiler cover?
Horses for courses and the client can make their own informed choice.

I've fitted more WBs than most WBAI installers and i'm well aware of their strengths and weaknesses.

There are two ways to promote your choices, either you extol your products many good points or you run everybody else's down but that makes for negative reading........

Could you answer the question. Which is cheaper, forking out annually for a BG maintenance contract or an independent boiler service?

And as it's a combi (clue is in boiler choices), OP is unlikely to need a new cylinder, would you agree?

NB: This WAI installs more boilers than you, because it's not just him doing it. And I don't just install Worcester.

Sponsored Links
Btw apologies to the OP for dragging the thread a little off topic :whistle:
Hey no problem, I've learnt to question BG on this filter and I'm worried over the roof leaking with the local guy. I know from searching that BG are perceived as being expensive. I have to weigh that up against who I would prefer when things go wrong. I'm not slagging off the independents I always use them for repairs and prefer to.

Thanks to everyone for your input, not one reply from the moneysavingexpert forum :)

Depending on the independent of course bg are more expensive.

As you've descended into petty questions based on statements I never made perhaps you should answer:

Do you as implied service the boiler for free every year?

Would you replace radiators, valves or Trvs free of charge because you serviced the boiler?

You're trying to compare apples and oranges. If someone posted a thread saying they could have a top of the line cdi for 2k or a raven heap for 1800 squids you'd be the first to point out that they're not comparing the same quality of boiler.

As I said horses for courses!

OP glad you're still with us :LOL:

The quality of install will vary with both bg and independants. Difference is that bg won't turn the phone off after it goes pearshaped!

Having said that if I had to pay to have a boiler installed I would be asking mates for recommendations then getting a max of three quotes from installers. It's an expensive purchase that you want to last for a long time so the total price is less crucial then the quality of the job.

There are good and bad independents and bg has good and bad workers same as any business, hopefully someone will give you a warm fuzzy feeling. We've all won jobs because 'the cat liked you' :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Happy to confirm.

I don't service the boiler free. I don't change TRVs, radiators or valves free, unless they were fitted by ourselves and fail before a reasonable lifespan.

But equally, most of my customers don't wish to spend another £120 a year, every year, when they've just forked out for a new boiler on the basis of a slim chance of needing this support.

My manufacturer backed 10yr warranty almost guarantees a first fix one appointment repair (98.6%), whereas BG carry virtually no parts on the wagon and multiple calls are legion.

Can I confirm I would never have a Wooshitter Botch let alone one fitted by British Gas.

OP, we're more than happy to discuss the above and the merits of different products, but relative installation prices are next to impossible to advise on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back